Chapter 9: Incomplete

He stood outside Nikita's door, standing straight and alert. Something kept Kostya from just knocking like it was any other day, this time it was special. He compulsively checked his watch, 5:59 it read, he didn't want to seem to eager and to come early but arriving late would make him appear careless.
Woah, you're really over-analysing everything right now, seems like he's rubbing off on you.
And it was true wether Kostya wanted to admit it or not. It had been all but 2 says since the day that has changed his life forever, a situation somehow turning from the worst day of his life to the best all with 3 words. Nervously, he clutched a bunch of red roses tightly in his left hand, his eyes constantly glancing over to his right on which his watch was placed; 6:00, perfect timing. After taking a deep breath and switching on a carefree demeanour, he knocked loud and clear 3 times.

The was a long pause, Kostya persisted to knock again but stopped himself, feeling like he didn't want to rush him in anyway- he couldn't take that long could he? Sure enough, the door opened, the shy brown-eyed waiting behind it. Nikita clumsily tucked his floral shirt into his dress pants, then he brushed back his wavy hair and smiled at Kostya.
"Hey." He uttered, his eyes welded to Kostya's as they glittered in admiration.
"Are you ready to go or do you need more time?" Kostya asked.
"If you really don't mind, I have to fix my hair and-"
"Oh don't worry about it! We've still got time I just wanted to see you before hand..." he nervously looked around for a moment before remembering the bunch of flowers in his hand. He lifted them to Nikita.

"Oh, you shouldn't have!" He giggled modestly, accepting the crimson floral display. "Come on in, we won't be very long. The pair climbed the staircase and walked into the familiar bedroom, an unmistakable memory of their last encounter in the house entering their mindsets. It was so strong that Kostya couldn't help but to acknowledge it- something he'd been needing to do all day. He swallowed back the reluctance and redeemed himself.
"By the way." He began. Nikita looked back at him curiously. "I'm sorry about the other day." Niki looked away bashfully, biting his soft lips. 'I over reacted, like, quite a lot actually. I was quite overwhelmed by..." he stopped abruptly.

"Don't worry about it! I mean, where would we be without that...conversation." Kostya smiled widely at him
"I guess you're right. We never would be known- stuck thinking we were just friends after all. Goddamn that would have crushed me." Nikita lay a sympathetic hand on his shoulder before turning back to the mirror and combing through his wavy, chestnut locks. There was silence for a while in which Kostya thought to himself: something still felt incomplete to him, like there was a piece missing to everything he'd wished for. Of course he'd ended up with the most desirable outcome- getting to attend the Formal with Nikita for real (no 'friends' excuses or masked feelings acting like a wall separating their secret desires). Before he could realise what was truly missing, Niki pointed something out, swiftly turning back to him as he did.

"They don't even know do they?" He enquired, a daze of realization passing over him almost immediately.
"The Guys?" Kostya replied, followed by a sigh. "No one does. I wasn't going to say anything in case you weren't comfortable with it." Niki grinned at this, relieved that the irresistible guy in front of him had even taken a second to think about that.
"Oh, I'll tell them. Thanks for being so considerate about it though."
"Don't mention it!" Kostya looked up at the clock on the teen's wall, followed by him coming to his feet quickly.
"Are you ready yet? We should probably get going soon..."
"Just a moment. You can wait at the door if you like, I won't be a moment." Kostya smiled and proceeded with the suggestion; shutting the bedroom door behind him as he left. Nikita checked his surroundings in a quick glance and walked over to the bed. Lifting his pillow, he took out a piece of paper, folded into a neat square- he couldn't help as a warm smile spread across his lips when he read the page one last time. Niki held it up to his chest.
"This is it." He whispered to himself, returning the poem back to its hiding spot and promptly leaving the room.

"Oh look, there's Benji!" Ari called, a cheery tone in his voice. He lept out of Mikolas' arms and ran over to Benjamin- accompanied by a face Ari hadn't seen before. "Hi! Oh you must be...Felix right?" He held out a friendly hand.
"Yeah, it's nice to meet you." He said politely. He stood high above Benji, around the same height as Ari and gave off a welcoming tone to him. Mikolas waved, slowly following Ari's footsteps.
"So, who else are we waiting for?" Felix asked.
"Kostya and Nikita." Benji responded.
"Aww, they're a couple too?"
"Well not exactly..." Ari said, shrugging.
"They're going as-" Miki held up his hands and gestured air quotes. "Friends."
"Ooooh, I see." He winked at them. "In denial are they?"
"In denial about what?"

Everyone turned to the direction of the voice. Kostya and Nikita stood behind them,Kostya with his arms crossed and Nikita trying not to make eye contact.
"Oh hi you two! How's it going?" Ari greeted them, trying to change the topic.
"Pretty good." Kostya muttered. "What's with the whole 'not exactly a couple' thing then?"
"We're joking, guys!" Miki laughed, "I mean, unless you are exactly a couple." Niki looked up at Kostya, his lip quivering and his eyes wide- now he didn't seem like he wanted to tell them.
"Nope. Still a joke."
"Well, don't knock me for trying." Miki sniffed.

The group began to approach the venue with great excitement, an array of bright lights shining through the doorway and illuminating the dark night sky. A faint buzz of music drifted through the air and Students were piling into the building- dresses and suits galore. As they inched closer and closer to getting inside, the laugh and chatter of excited teens became more audible. The boys handed in their tickets and entered the party room, immediately overwhelmed by the swarm of Euro High pupils hanging out at the bar or chilling by the seats on the outskirts of the dance floor. School parties weren't common, so the sight was strange and new for many of the freshmen and sophomores.

"Well we're still waiting for people to arrive I guess." Niki suggested, staring at he practically empty dance floor.
"True. We better make most of all this space and grab a table." Kostya said, strolling over to one and beginning to pull out chairs. They all sat down, trying to get to know their new friend a little better.
"So, you ever thought about transferring?" Ari asked Felix.
"Trust me, I've tried. My mom won't let me though, she likes the idea of me going to an all Swedish school."
"That's a shame, you seem like you'd fit right in!"
"Seeing as you haven't been kicked out of our Formal yet, I think you'll do just fine." Kostya grinned mischeviously.

Mikolas brought some drinks to the table and all was going well until he said:
"How about a celebratory kiss?" He gazed into Ari's eyes. He chuckled innocently in return.
"If you say so. Here's to the Formal!" Ari's lips leaned into Miki's while Benji giggled.
"C'mon guys, get a room!"
"Well, wouldn't it be unfair if you and Felix didn't kiss too? It's your special night." Felix shrugged before going along with his new friends' plies. The group whooped and clapped but Kostya was soon hushed.
"What's wrong, Kostya?" Nikita asked, concerned by his sudden freezing. Then he noticed who Kostya was staring at across the room- or more like who was staring at him. A familiar-looking Swede, enraged by the sight of Benji's new partner.