chapter three

C H A P T E R
T H R E E

The next morning, I was awoken by a frantic knocking at my door. I flung myself out of bed and stumbled my way towards the door.

The mysterious stranger had disappeared almost as quickly as he'd come, leaving me to stand in the darkness with the dimming lantern as my only company, until I finally regained my senses and went back to bed. It had to be a dream, I told myself. And then more firmly, with a nod, figured it couldn't be anything else.

"Can I help you?" I asked as Cecilia came barrelling into my room.

"He's sent someone ahead!"

"What?" I asked, confusion evident on my face. "Who's sent who ahead?"

"The King!" she said, like I should have known all along. "One of his men arrived early this morning. He'll be here within the hour!"

"This hour?!"

"No," she answered, sarcastically, looking at me pointedly. "Yes! This hour!"

I hurried to my cupboards, throwing them open. "What shall I wear?"

As if on command, a string of maids entered.

"Miss Winterbourne," one I knew as June called for my attention. "The Prince has picked your outfit for greeting the King of Mazji." I nodded. "And Princess, your ladies await you in your room."

"Right, right!" And she was racing out of the room.

I fingered the dress Josiah had picked out. As much as I loved him, he was not too great at choosing clothes for me. I held up the pink frilly thing and placed it to the side. June looked at me in question.

"I think I'll wear something of my own choosing," I told her. I walked over to my wardrobe once again, and pulled from it a white, long sleeved, off the shoulder dress.

"Lady Everly, I don't think—"

"He will have to accept my decision to refuse... that."

"I don't blame you," she whispered to me with a smile. And then louder, "The Prince will not be happy, but I shall regretfully tell him of your decision."

"Thank you, June," I whispered back. "You don't have to tell him, by the way. He's stressed enough as it is."

She nodded and I smiled, gratefully. In truth, I didn't want to stress him, yes, but equally I didn't want to give him the chance to force me to wear that hideous outfit.

• • •

Cecilia was right: at exactly an hour since one of his men had come to the palace door, a seemingly endless line of black shapes were spotted from the highest terrace of the palace, which I imagined were the large cars the royals were notorious for. And when they were, a round of trumpets sounded.

Civilians from far and wide made up a thick sea of people on either side of the road, cheering and waving each country's flag vigorously. It was nice to see them so accepting of a man we knew very little about, a man we could only compare to his country's history. And yet, they were still welcoming and cheering excitedly.