chapter ten

C H A P T E R
T E N

I waited in the dark, foot tapping almost erratically. Everything in me was telling me what I was planning was stupid, that it wouldn't work, but I knew I needed to stop being selfish.

To waste time while I waited, I began looking at the books, not that I could see many in the scarce light. I leant forward, trying to make out the spine of one.

A hand settled on my waist. I jumped.

"It's just me," Demetrius whispered into my ear, my back firmly pressed against his front. I could feel every ridge, every dip of his abdomen, and the sure shape of what was... lower.

I turned around. He kept us close by entrapping me in his arms and the bookshelf. His scent was intoxicating as his head went to my exposed collarbone, kissing it once. His hair was soft and thick as it brushed against me.

"There's something I needed to talk to you about," I said, voice stronger than I felt.

"But talking's so boring," he muttered into my skin, breath warm and oddly soothing.

"Demetrius," I said, forcing myself to stand upright. "I'm serious."

He sighed and took his lips from my skin. His face was still close to mine but I was grateful for the more space he gave me. "What did you want to talk about?"

Absentmindedly, I dragged my finger from his hip to his chest. I could feel his intense stare on my face as, I imagined, he tried to figure out what I was about to say. I would put money on Demetrius having the ability to anticipate what people would say the majority of the time, but now he was in the dark... literally.

"We need to figure out a way to stop this," I said, staring at his chest.

"I believe you've said this before," he said, lips pulling upwards.

I pulled my eyes to his, unwavering. "Properly this time."

He stared at me, eyes questioning as the amusement dissipated from them.

His arms dropped and he stepped back. "You can't be serious."

I dropped my hand as he put space between us. "I'm deadly serious." My eyes flew upwards before I returned them to his. "We both know you and Josiah are never going to get on. Marriage between you and Cecilia is the only option to create an alliance, so we need to stop whatever this is." I gestured between us.

"And what is this?"

"Sexual attraction," I said, certain. "Nothing more."

"Sexual attraction," he said to himself as he looked to the side, nodding. His eyes returned to mine and he stepped forward. "I believe we haven't had sex so the attraction can't be that strong."

Oh god, I wanted to say. It's strong. But then I doubt much could save my dignity if I admitted just how much I wanted him, just how much I craved him every second of the day.

"Strong or not," I said, waving my hand dismissively. "You need to stop coming onto me."

He scoffed darkly. "You act like it's just me," he said, hair falling over his forehead. "That I'm the only one that initiates things."