Who's the Stalker Now?

Astrid groaned as she rolled over in bed. The teen felt like she had slept on a pile of rocks, her back aching fiercely. She groaned as she sat up on her bed and wiped the sleep from her eyes. The alarm clock on her nightstand told her it was 5:23 A.M. and Astrid facepalmed harder than intended. Ouch, she grimaced. What the hell, body, it's sinful to be awake this early! She needed to leave for work in about an hour to make sure she wouldn't be late on the first day.

The teen sighed in defeat and climbed out of bed. Stripping off her dress from last night, she made her way into the connected bathroom and braced herself as she flipped the light switch. Astrid exited the shower half an hour later, feeling awake and refreshed. She cheerfully put on her new uniform and made her way downstairs to forage for breakfast.

After a hearty meal of strawberry pop tarts and milk, Astrid walked to the Wicked Wench Book Store. The air was thick and humid that morning. The teenager's skin felt sticky, the hard labor of her shower undone as she entered the pirate-themed shop. Roger was already waiting for her behind the counter with a smile that made him appear even more eager than Astrid.

"Ahoy, Astrid, be you excited for yer' first day on the job?" The older man called, waving her over.

"Aye, Cap'n Bones, I be ready for a hard day's labor at the mast of this fine vessel!" The teen replied eagerly as she approached the counter. "Be I the only landlubber aboard the Wicked Wench this mornin'?" Astrid questioned, not noticing any other staff members in the shop.

"That be negatory, lass. Today, ye'll be workin' with a true scourge of the seven seas, Oliver Langley." Bones informed, checking his watch, "But the old salt never be early like ye are." Astrid had never met Oliver Langley before and had no idea what to expect. Please don't let him be a massive prick, she wished with all her might. 

The spunky teen had little to no tolerance for assholes and could not foresee an instance in which she could harmoniously work alongside one. "Avast, ye, there be the young lad now," the older man exclaimed, pulling the girl out of her thoughts. Astrid turned towards the door to size up her coworker.

Oliver Langley was a strapping young man with curly auburn hair and ruggedly handsome features. He walked with swagger in his step, flashing a smile at the two by the counter as he joined them. The closer look revealed freckled skin and sky blue eyes that glimmered with mirth. Maybe he's not so bad, Astrid conceded, but if he hits on me I'm going to castrate him.

"Nice to me you, I'm Ollie," the boy said, offering his hand to Astrid. The girl took it and delivered a firm handshake, feeling very pleased with his reaction to her strong grip.

Roger spoke up, "Ollie, this is Astrid Dinwiddie. She's your new coworker. Be nice to her. She's new in town and doesn't have too many friends her own age." Astrid frowned at her introduction.

"Oi, 'Pretty Boy,' don't go treating me like a damsel in distress!" She glared at the man, "I know this town like the back of my hand; Now, I'm a resident instead of a visitor." Oliver sniggered at her outspokenness.

"I like her," the ginger declared, crooking his thumb at her, "Don't worry, Cap'n I've got this." Roger held up both of his hands in surrender and left the boy to show Astrid the ropes. 

Ollie wore what would best be described as slops. His linen shirt was yellowed with age and his brown breeches were tattered and torn from labor. It was miraculous his boots were intact. I wonder if he picked them himself, Astrid smirked.

"So first things first, it's kind of slow in the mornings so we have plenty of downtime until about 11:00 or so. At the top of every hour, we put on a swashbuckling show on the pirate ship in the back. Bones told me he taught you everything he knew about stage combat when you were little, so I won't need to teach you the routine." Oliver's information was correct. Astrid had learned the routine by heart by the time she was nine years old and could perform it without error; she often insisted that Roger practice it with her.