Plots, Ploys, and Parties

The weekend's fishing trip was canceled last minute. A torrential downpour—in a most literal sense—rained upon Astrid and her family's parade. Though they rescheduled for the next weekend, the teen was still feeling down. Am I really this empty? she wondered, God, I'm pathetic. The brunette slumped down on the kitchen island and groaned with boredom. Astrid had never been good with idleness.

Almost as if he could hear her brain cells decaying, Oliver's face lit up her phone screen a moment later with an offer for salvation.

Virginia and Oliver were already seated in a booth when Astrid entered the IHOP. How they managed to escape the rain's wrath, the brunette wasn't sure, but she made a mental note to hate them for it. She, herself, looked like a wet rat.

"What's up, my dudes?" The girl greeted as she plopped down on the brown, faux leather bench next to Oliver.

Virginia, who was sitting directly across from her, gave her a thin smile before speaking. "We need to talk, A Cakes," the blonde declared. Her tone of voice left no room for argument.

Not this again, the short girl groaned.

"Gee, and here I was thinking that you a) enjoyed my company, and b) respected IHOP as a happening place." Astrid said giving her friends a pointed look, "I mean, seriously, this place is legit. I'm talking 24 hour service, my dudes. IHOP is where it's at."

Oliver was the first to respond. "What the hell are you going off about, Dinwiddie?" The ginger questioned with a raised eyebrow.

It was Astrid's turn to be confused. "This isn't an interrogation about Elicia?" She asked, "Because I swear to God if it is, I'm walking right back out the door." A waitress came to take Astrid's order before her friends could either confirm or deny her suspicions.

The brunette ordered her usual: a Funny Face pancake from the Kid's menu. She was pleasantly surprised that the waitress didn't give her a strange look—everyone judged her for eating off the kids' menu. I like her, Astrid gave the woman her seal of approval as she left the table.

Seizing the opportunity, Oliver spoke up. "We can save that for another time, but we actually have a more important question to ask you," he revealed.

Virginia placed her hand over Ollie's in a gesture meant to quiet her. Whatever they're about to tell me, Astrid deduced, Isn't going to be good if Vee's the one delivering it.

"I know you, A, and if there's one thing you hate it's beating around the bush. I'll be up front with you. We want you to throw a party at Hell House." The blonde revealed to a very surprised Astrid.

That's an accurate description if I've ever heard one, she snarked in regards to the house.

"What makes you fools think that I'd throw a party?" Astrid asked with incredulousness in her voice, "I don't even go to parties, let alone throw them!" Her friends exchanged nervous glances around the table.

"Oi, Dinwiddie, cool your jets and hear us out." Oliver said, interrupting her internal panic, "This could actually be a good thing for you. Think about it. You're new in town; a party is a perfect place to meet people. 'Hell House' is massive, too, so it's the perfect place to gather a mass of teenagers. Virginia, Daph, and I can help you throw this thing together."

Astrid facepalmed. "I hate all of you." The brunette spat in a flat voice, "However, that does make sense—as much as I hate to admit it. I'm in."

After one brutal argument with her high school chemistry teacher, the teen had stopped trying to argue with facts. Oliver and Virginia's plan was reasonable with a good chance of success; Astrid had little to lose.