The Morning After

When Astrid woke up, the television had been turned off and Virginia was sprawled on top of her, drooling on her shirt. "Ew!" the brunette shrieked. The taller girl awoke with a start and was ready to spring into action. Virginia took a look around and saw nothing but a very disgusted Astrid frantically unbuttoning her pajama shirt.

"I didn't realize this palace moonlighted as a strip club," Vee snarked, still half asleep. Her now shirtless friend jumped at the sound of her voice.

"First of all, you were drooling on me. Second of all, I thought you were still asleep," Astrid retorted as she crossed her arms over her simple black bra. Virginia shrugged. Why are we friends again? she pondered.

"I don't buy it for a second. Shame on you for trying to cut me out of the business," the blonde scolded. Unexpectedly, she tackled her friend to the floor, catching her off-guard.

"Virginia Townsend, get the fuck off of me!" Astrid shouted after her back hit the floor. "I swear, if you fucking tickle me, I will murder you right here in my living room!" The teen swore at her friend. She knew exactly where Vee's mind was heading—they had been friends far too long for her not to.

The two prepared to wage battle on the elegant Persian rug, but the sound of approaching footsteps interrupted them. The pair turned their heads to see a dazed Elicia enter the room. The sight on the floor in front of her did not appear to be helping her obvious hangover.

"Oh, would you look at the time?" Virginia exclaimed as she pretended to look at a watch on her wrist. The taller girl scrambled to get up off of her friend, declaring, "I really must be going. Don't worry, I'll see myself out. Bye, Astrid!" Virginia hurried past the Latina and through the front door. In less than a minute, the blonde was in her car and speeding off down the street.

Astrid, still a bit shocked by Virginia's exit and Elicia's arrival, took a moment to pick herself up off the floor. "Elicia, you're awake!" She exclaimed, "How'd you sleep?" The Latina didn't respond. Astrid followed her gaze down to her exposed chest. Fuck, she cursed as she scrambled to cover herself with her discarded shirt. "Sorry about that," the teen apologized as her face turned beet red.

"I'm not even gonna ask," the raven-haired beauty yawned. "What happened last night?" she questioned, rubbing at her eyes. Astrid gulped. How the hell am I supposed to answer that? she panicked, "Hey, we made up and then you came on to me, but don't worry nothing happened?" That's literally the dumbest idea ever, Astrid. You're gonna have to lie.

"Well, we came back to my place after we talked things out at the beach," Astrid began buying herself time. "Both of us drank a few glasses too many because we were having a ball watching the home shopping channel. It was already late, and you were in no condition to drive home, so I offered you one of the guest rooms." She finished. The girl nodded, convinced. "I'm starving. Join me in the kitchen for a breakfast muffin?" The teen invited as she left the room and put her shirt back on properly. Her guest followed behind her but stopped in the doorway.

"I actually should be going, Astrid. Thank you for last night...I'm glad we cleared the air," Elicia said scratching the back of her neck. Astrid nodded in understanding before offering to walk her out. They exchanged a hug before the Latina climbed into her Buick and drove off. Astrid lingered in the doorway for a moment longer, letting out a deep sigh. I never thought my boobs would get in the way of my potential lesbian relationship, the teen remarked.

The morning air was thick with humidity. Though Astrid did not particularly enjoy waking up at 7:00 that morning with nothing to do, she refused to return to bed. The teen gazed longingly at the quaint yellow house across the street. I'll apologize to Nan later, she resolved, perhaps she and Pops will be willing to join me for dinner. A sheen of sweat had already begun to coat Astrid's skin. Feeling rather disgusting, the girl opted for a refreshing shower.

The sun had risen when the teenager emerged from her house and walked across the street to a familiar wooden door. She rang her grandparents' doorbell once, remembering her Nan's words. Astrid could not remember a time when she had ever felt small on her Nan and Pop's doorstep. Today, she felt as though she were only a foot tall. It felt like hours before the door opened; Astrid did not expect to find her grandfather on the other side.

Alfred Pierce was a jolly old man with a heart of gold. His trim white whiskers were tough against the teen's smooth, tan skin, but she couldn't bring herself to care as the man scooped her up into a warm hug. Astrid quite liked that Pops was shorter than her Nan. It gives him character, she thought. The girl would describe her grandfather much like Christopher Robin would describe Winnie the Pooh: Alfred Pierce was a silly old bear; Astrid quite loved that about him.

"It's been too long, Squirt!" Pops crowed as he ruffled her hair and kissed her forehead. He released the girl from his arms and gestured for her to take a step back. "Let me get a good look at you," the older man requested as he put on his glasses. The teen spun around for him theatrically. "Something's off, Monkey but I can't put my finger on it," he commented, causing Astrid to stop in confusion.

While the teen looked for a stain or something else wrong with her appearance, the old man removed his rich blue, Brixton fiddler cap and placed it atop her head. "That's better!" Pops exclaimed, "Now you look right and proper! Come on in, Astrid. What can I do for my favorite granddaughter?"

Astrid followed the man into the house and to the kitchen where he offered her a soft peanut butter cookie. Mmmm my favorite, the teen sighed as she savored the taste of the sweet treat. Wiping the crumbs from her mouth, she spoke, "Not that I don't love you Pops, but I actually came here looking for Nan. I need to apologize for brushing her off the other day." Pops nodded in understanding.

"Your Nan's our with Barb Buckley. I think she said they were going to feed the squirrels this morning. Awfully rude of her to deprive me of my mixed nuts, though," the older man said. Astrid chuckled. I forgot how much I missed this man, the teen smiled with fondness, it's so damn good to be home.

Astrid offered her grandfather her deepest condolences, patting him comfortingly on the shoulder. "She's a real monster alright," the teen sympathized. "I'll make you a deal, Pops. How about I go down to Gene's and grab you enough assorted nuts to satisfy you for a lifetime, and you make sure that both you and Nan are on my porch at 6:00 sharp?" Astrid offered. The white-haired man narrowed his eyes in contemplation, folding his arms.

Finally, Pops reached out his hand for His granddaughter to take, delivering a firm handshake. "Done deal, little lady," he declared, "I'll remind you that I do expect payment up front, though." The teen rolled her eyes.

Astrid gave her grandfather one last hug before saying goodbye and venturing towards Main Street.

A/N: I love Pops so much, y'all. Get pumped for the next chapter! Astrid keeps her word, and Pops gets more than he bargained for.