Rescue

1047 Words excluding (A/N)~ I don't own Magic Kaito, if I did, Aoko would be scolded by her father for using Kaito's phobia against him. Phobias are serious! (No I don't have one).

Toichi felt unease envelope him as he and his wife came upon the cabin. A familiar scream being cut off sent a wave of icy fear through his veins. Not needing to exchange any words, the duo swiftly unlocked the door only to have it stay closed when they tried to open it.

'Kaito!'

"Deadbolt probably" Toichi muttered as he pulled out around two dozen of his miniature trick bombs, Chikage doing the same. They were a family of thieves, they never left the house unprepared.

'Kaito shouldn't get caught up in the blast'

The two stuck the bombs to the door with some adhesive near the hinges and where they estimated the deadbolt to be. They both took a few steps back before setting them off. With a sharp crack, the door the door fell off it's hinges, deadbolt unattached.

Without wasting a second the two burst through the entrance. A strange man was hovering over his son, both unclothed.

'Get away from Kaito!'

He let out a deep snarl as he tackled the man off of his son, roundhouse kicking him in the face to knock him out. The man didn't deserve a gentle knockout via smoke bomb.

Chikage on the other hand snatched up her unconscious son, swiftly wrapping him up in a blue cloth pulled out from her pocket before cradling him against her chest, tears falling down her face.

"Kaito..." Toichi's voice cracked as he took a hesitant step towards the two. His poker face shattering completely as he took in what he could see of his son. His poor, innocent son who was always smiling and laughing. Kaito's, whole neck was covered in dark hickeys, tear stains covered the boy's face in addition to the blood, both wet and dry that was running down his chin from his mouth.

'You didn't deserve this...'

"Dear...' Chikage's voice wavering as she stepped towards him and leaned against him. "Kai-chan needs medical attention... when I wrapped him up..." Her voice broke as she shook her head, shoulders shaking.

"We need to get back to the cabin and check Kaito for more injuries and call the police" Toichi sent a dark glare towards the unconscious man. "I don't want that monster roaming free" He growled, feeling sick at the thought of other children being touched by the man. He waved his hand, and the man became completely encased in extra strength duck tape. He made sure that the man's privates were encased extra tight for when the police had to peel it off of him.

Chikage nodded, eyes gleaming dangerously. "I want to get back before Kai-chan wakes up" She whispered, voice soft as she stroked the boy's cheek, only to pause when she felt him shift. "Kai-chan?" She asked, earning a pained moan from the boy as bleary indigos blinked open.

"St-op.... Please!" The boy whined, squirming to get out of the hold. "Shhh it's okay, it's safe Kai-chan" Kaito flinched from her words and continued with renewed strength. "The bad man can't hurt you anymore" Chikage soothed, sharing a worried glance with her husband.

'Kaito...'

"Let go! Please!" Kaito screeched, now beginning to claw at his mother's arms, indigo eyes without a trace of recognition. "Oyaji! Kaa-san! Help!" The boy cried, his whole body quaking as fresh tears began to stain his face. "Oyaji... Kaa-san..." The boy's words trailed off as he seemed to go completely still, eyes blank.

'He's so panicked that he doesn't even recognize us, Kaitou Kid is going to visit that monster's cell'

"Kaito, I'm here, your mother is here too" Toichi tried, gently patting the boy's head, it broke his heart to see his son like this. He held in his frown at how Kaito flinched at his touch. "You're safe now, nobody can hurt you"

'Is he afraid of touch?'

"Kai-chan..." Chikage whispered, eliciting a shrill whine from the boy. Toichi closed his eyes for a second before opening them.

"Chikage... He seems to react badly to being called that" Toichi paused as he met his wife's eyes with his own. "I think that he called Kaito that" He continued.

'That monster... tarnishing a piece of his name like that'

The former Phantom Lady paled at his words. "Oh Kaito, I'm so sorry..." She cried. Kaito blinked up at her.

"Kaa-san... Don't touch me..." He whispered, body trembling slightly.

"I'm not going to hurt you, neither is your father" Chikage soothed, refraining from hugging him tighter.

"Touch bad..." Toichi stiffened at Kaito's words, dread bubbling within his stomach. He didn't want Kaito to develop a fear of people, Kaito loved performing magic for others. To make Kaito afraid of that, would destroy who his son was.

'Maybe I can find something else for his fear to assimilate to instead of touch'

Eyes glancing around, Toichi found the perfect scapegoat. "No, it's not touch that is bad, it's the fish" He started, knowing that blood would be a horrible fear since magician's can get hurt while practicing.

Indigo orbs blinked in confusion as Kaito tilted his head to the side in thought. "Fish?" He asked, sceptical. The fish hadn't hurt him, the man's touch had hurt. He didn't want to hurt anymore.

'I've got to word this right'

"Yes, the influence of so many dead fish caused him to go crazy, his craziness can't be fixed due to the fish." Toichi concluded, giving the small boy a tentative pat on the head. "See? Did that hurt?" At the boy's shake of the head, Toichi let a small smile crease his lips. "Then there's proof, let's get you away from this place"

*

As time passed, Kaito's mind blocked the incident from his memory, something which lifted a huge weight off of his parent's minds.

However, whenever Kaito saw a fish, or heard the word, all of his previous fear from the trauma bunched up together and hit him in the face. He didn't remember the incident, however he subconsciously remembered 'fish' and 'fear'. Both parents were okay with this and didn't scold him when his poker face failed in the face of the now dubbed 'finny things'.

He had a reason to be afraid, he just didn't know it.

Me: okay this is the last chapter~ how was it?~ This was really interesting to write~ Hope you enjoyed~