Chapter Four : Partners

Everyone began moving around the classroom, trying to sit with their partners. Estrella gave me a sympathetic smile, grabbing her things to move a couple rows down, where her partner was. "Hey, remember, you just keep away from anything that is haram or anything that will cause you to sin." She gave me a short hug, mock gagging after she pulled away. I watched as El moved down to her new seat.

I let out a breath, pulling up a word document and titling it, "Spanish Project." I couldn't help but wonder how weird this was. We had to make a project about someone else. It was going to be really awkward.

I began typing out a format, vaguely aware or the person pulling out a seat beside me. I glanced upwards, finding Badr as he pulled out his own laptop. "So," He started, "Coincidence much?"

"At this point, I think Allah (SWT) is just playing us." I joked, cracking a smile.

I heard Badr stifle a laugh, "Either that or we have some really weird luck."

"I guess so." I laughed quietly.

Badr pulled up a document and turned to me, his gaze never finding mine. "How do we do this?"

"Just... ask random questions?" I suggested, not really sure how to approach this project either.

"Ehm," He nodded, "Okay, I guess. What's your  favorite color?"

"Grey. I'm boring." I smiled. I, then, looked around as if I was about to say something secret. I put a hand on the side of my mouth and leaned in, "But I'll let you in on a secret. It's actually pink."

He chuckled softly, "Don't worry, I won't tell anyone."

Talking to him, for some reason, I didn't feel like I was acting. I sat back up straight, fixing my white hijab. "Okay, your turn. Favorite color?"

"See, now I'm the boring one." He joked. "Blue and black."

"Aww, no, that's a cute combination." I smiled and typed his favorite colors into my computer.

"Thanks." I felt like I could hear a smile in his voice, but I didn't dare look up at him. "Do you have any hobbies?" He asked, his fingers resting on the keyboard.

"Oh, yeah. I do, actually." I looked away. I always thought my hobby was embarrassing. "I like to write poetry." I muttered quietly. "Could you-uhm-not put it on the project, please?"

"Yeah, of course. I won't." He responded. "I think that's really cool, by the way. Poetry is beautiful." He paused. "I'd love to read some of your stuff some time, if you're okay with that."

"I'd... like to hear your opinion on it." I tapped my finger on the desk, "I also perform Spoken Word Poetry." I spoke with a newfound confidence.

"Oh, really? I'd love to hear that!" Badr seemed enthusiastic. "I listen to Spoken Word all the time!"

"Me too!" I typed in my document, making sure to get down the things he liked. "So, any hobbies you have?"

"Well, kind of. I'm not that good at it, but I love to paint and draw." He explained, moving his hands nervously.

"That sounds amazing!" I typed in his hobby. "I would absolutely love to see them some time."

"I could show you some after class, if you're not busy." He offered.

"Yeah, sure. We could continue our project too." I gave him a smile, but I knew he couldn't see it. I was glad that even though we were trying to be friends, he kept his gaze lowered. It was refreshing, to say the least.

Badr began to play with his hands, "Alright, next question?"

"Yep! Where have you always wanted to go?" I asked, wondering what his answer was.

"Other than Mecca and Medina?" He chuckled.

"Well, obviously." I joked.

"I have always wanted to go to Palestine." The way he said Palestine was exactly like my family. It was nice to hear someone else say it like that.

"Oh, really? How come?" I asked.

"I want to meet the people there, specifically in the West Bank. I want to see what their life is like, what they struggle with. I want to see how Israel treats them, up close. I want to go there so maybe I can try to change something. So I can protest with them." He stared down at the desk the entire time. His voice wavered a bit, like he was unsure if his answer was good enough.

"That's..." I took a breath. "Mashallah. There's never been a better answer than that, Badr. That is by far the beat answer I have ever gotten."

"Thank-Thanks." He stuttered. "Well-uhm-what about you? Where do you want to go?"

"My answer pales in comparison to yours." I rubbed my head sheepishly. "I want to go to Iraq."

"I have a feeling your answer does not pale in comparison to mine." He leaned back in his chair. "What's the reason?"

"I want to visit all of the shrine's there." I looked up at the ceiling dreamily. "I want to visit the land of Najaf and Karbala. I want to see Masjid-e-Kufa. It's my one wish."

"Yeah, I think our answers are about the same." Badr seemed to smile. "In sha Allah, we both will get to go to Palestine and Iraq."

"In sha Allah." I sat up straight, trying to think of another question. "What's the worst thing you've ever done and do you regret it?"

Badr's seat almost fell back as he sputtered, sitting up in shock. "That is one heck of a personal question."

I shrugged. "It's the first thing I thought of."

"Well... the worst thing I ever did? Probably... make my mom cry. And yes, I regret it. Every single day. I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from ever having done it." I could tell his shoulders slumped and he really seemed to be upset by whatever he had done.

"I'm sure she forgives you, Badr. We all do stupid things as kids. But, she's your mom." I tried to comfort him. "She will always love you."

"Yeah, I know... Mothers are really a gift from Allah (SWT)."

"They truly are."

"Moving on," He tried to lighten the mood. "What about you? What's the worst thing you've ever done?"

I opened my mouth to answer, but the professor cut off my nonexistent sentence. "Alright everyone, class dismissed. Don't forget to work on your projects!"

"Is that the first time she spoke in English this entire time?" Badr asked, getting up as he packed up his things.

"Yeah, pretty sure it is." I stuffed my laptop into my bag. "So, should we head to your dorm? I wanna see that art of yours."

Words:
Mashallah: God has willed, an expression of thankfulness.
In sha Allah: If god is willing, an expression of hope.