Chapter Thirty-Six : Chai

Ilma's head laid in my lap and Aleena leaned on my shoulder, both fast asleep. I moved Aleena gently and put my arm under Ilma's knees. I picked the girl up bridal style and rushed to her room, so not as to drop her. I wasn't strong enough to carry her for long or with ease.

I placed her in her bed and walked back to Aleena. I took her hand and gently shook her. When she was barely awake, I led her back to her room, tucking her into bed.

I shut the door to their room, walking back to the living room. I picked up the tv remote and shut off the bright screen ahead of me. I fell back onto the couch for a moment, holding my head in hands. "I have to fix this..."

I took a slow stand, staggering to the bedroom. I flipped on the lights and made the bed, walking back to the closet. "Hm..." I hummed, chewing on my thumb gently. "Maybe I should wear that saree mama got me..." I felt my cheeks heat up. "Oh, I hope he likes it." I picked out the pink saree and rushed into the bathroom to wash up.

I did some light makeup and changed into the saree. I stopped in front of the mirror to take a look at the finished look. "Is... this too much?" I whispered, playing with the thin cloth of saree. "I- I don't know... Do I look silly?" I ran a hand down my face, groaning quietly. "I am such a weirdo, talking to myself."

Two arms slipped around my waist, pulling me into his chest. "You look stunning." His breath whisped past my ear as he nuzzled his face into my neck. "Absolutely gorgeous..."

I jumped slightly. "Badr..." My voice softened. "You're back."

"Mhm." He hummed softly, his lips against my neck. "

"You like it?" I whispered.

"Of course." He lifted his head a bit, smiling gently. "You always look amazing."

I flipped in his arms, pulling away slowly. "Wait here, I'll be right back." I kissed his cheek and slipped out of the room. I made some chai as quickly as I could.

I walked back to the room, chai in hand. I entered the room slowly, shutting the door behind me. I sat down on the bed, sitting beside Badr. I held the cup out to him. He smiled softly and took it. "Chai? Jazakallah Khair, love."

I looked away, my cheeks heating up a bit. "Wa-Wa iyaki."

He took a sip of the chai. "I... I'm sorry, Sal."

"Wha- What?" I sat up straight, confused. "For- For what?"

"For yelling at you... earlier." He looked away, shame radiating from his posture.

I crawled over to him. I sat on my knees, behind him as I wrapped my arms around his neck. I laid my head on his shoulder. "Don't apologize." I whispered, my hair falling forward. "You have no need to."

The warmth of his hand enveloped my hand, "No, I shouldn't have shouted." He leaned his head back, into me. "I should have kept my temper under control."

I shook my head softly. "It's only natural to get mad... Especially when I was being so pushy and rude." I sat up, placing my hands on his shoulders. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." He placed the cup of chai on the side table before turning around. He leaned back, into me.

I massaged his shoulders, running my thumb in circles to sooth his muscles. "We don't have to talk about it now, but... I'll back off. I'm sorry that I was pressuring you so much. This is your decision."

He smiled and tilted his head upwards. "Thank you, princess."

I blushed and bit my lip. "Of- Of course. It's what I should've been doing."

He slipped out of my hands and turned around. "How about you get into something more comfortable and we relax?"

I nodded and got off the bed. I walked to the closet to choose something to wear, but Badr got up and handed me one of his button ups and a pair of my pajama pants. I blushed lightly and nodded, grabbing the two things and changing quickly. I put the saree away before slipping into the bed.

Badr grinned and wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close. He pulled the blanket up for us and held me close. I laid my head on his chest. "Hey, Badr?"

"Yeah, Sal?"

"I love you."

He kissed my head. "I love you too."