Chapter Fifteen : Her Gaze

{Special Chapter for hitting 100 views!}
Badr's POV

I shook my head, trying to focus on the assignment in front of me. I tried to read one of the questions, but I had to read it five times and I still didn't fully understand it. I couldn't stop thinking about the other day. This was why Allah warned us about getting too close to the opposite sex. I couldn't get Salah out of my head!

Although it was just a glance, I had seen the way she was looking at me the other day. She was tired and it had impaired her judgment, I knew that, but it was still all I could think about. Just thinking about it made me feel embarrassed. I knew what this was turning into, but I didn't want to like her. If I liked her, I would have to stop being friends with her. And Allah knew how badly I didn't want to end our friendship.

I glanced at Zakir's paper and copied down the answer he had. There was no way I could have gotten done any work when my thoughts were so jumbled. As soon as I handed in my paper, I packed up my stuff and left the class, eager to get back to my dorm and distract myself.

"Hey, dude, what's up with you?" Zakir put his hand on my shoulder. "I saw you copy my work. You never do that. I'm supposed to copy your work."

I gave a sheepish smile. "Sorry about that. I just... I couldn't stop thinking about something and, well, I couldn't work because of it."

"What were you thinking about?" Zakir walked with me, back up to my dorm. As we past Salah's dorm, my gaze lingered a little too long on her door. "Oh, of course." I heard my friend chuckle. "Salah."

My eyes widened a bit and I entered my own dorm. "Shu-Shut up!" I closed the door after him, my cheeks bright pink.

"Dude, you're bright pink." Zakir snorted.

I grumbled and grabbed a glass of water. "Whatever."

"She was what was keeping you from doing your work, right?" He asked, a slight smirk playing on his lips.

"Yea-Yeah, so what?" I tried to act defensive, but it all came crumbling down quickly. "Yeah, she was. It's not good." I mumbled.

"You like her?"

I hesitated for a second, slowly nodding. "I- I think so... but I don't want to. I want to be her friend. I- I-" I let out a sigh. "I don't want to end our friendship just because of my stupid feelings."

"Why're you acting like that's your only option?" Zakir rose an eyebrow.

"What do you mean?" I cocked my head to the side in confusion. "Isn't it?"

"May I remind you, we are no longer high schoolers. You don't have to just act like your crush doesn't exist." He rolled his eyes.

"Then...?"

"Marriage, you idiot!" Zakir sighed exasperatedly. "You're definitely old enough. And if you tell your parents and they talk to hers, I'm sure-"

"Marriage? But- that- that's so-" I stuttered, a little overwhelmed.

"It's halal. It's what you're supposed to do when you like a girl." Zakir smiled softly. "Badr, I won't force you to, but if you do, Allah will guide you. Remember, Allah is the best of planners. Whatever happens will happen for the best."

I took a breath. "You're right. I'm just a little... meh because we don't know each other that well."

"Well, most people get to know each other best after marriage, not before." Zakir shrugged. "Badr, leave it to Allah. He will take care of you."

"Okay, yeah. I'll talk to my parents." I got up and gave Zakir a slight hug. "Thanks, bro."

"No problem. That's what I'm here for." Zakir grabbed his things. "I'm gonna get going, I have work to do."

"Okay, see ya." I gave a wave, immersed in my phone as I stared at my mother's number. I sucked in a breath, tapping on it as I heard the door click shut. "Ya rubb, help me."

The phone rang, twice, thrice, four times. "Badr? Asalam Walaikum."

"Walaikum Asalam, ami." I responded, a bulge in my throat. "I have something to ta-"

"You called at the perfect time!" My mother cut me off, speaking excitedly. "We have some news!"

"Rishta tei hogaya!" I heard my dad shout in excitement. "You're getting married!"

Words:
Ya Rubb - God
Ami - Mom
Rishta tei hogaya - Urdu for: A relationship has been settled.