Chapter Twelve : Breakfast

The dasterkhan was filled with food, every one of us surrounding it like we had been starving. Although Estrella, Aileen, and Reina were not Muslims, they had eaten with my family many times before and knew about the dasterkhan. "So," Estrella piped up, a piece of french toast in her mouth. "Anyone have any classes today?"

Not a single person said yes. "I don't, but I have a volunteering thing today." I gave a sheepish smile. "But you guys can do whatever! Don't stop on account of me!" I gave a small smile. 'They weren't going to stop anyway. You don't matter.' I lost my appetite after that, dropping my little piece of french toast on my plate. "I should actually go get ready." I hummed quietly. "If one of you wants my food, you can have it."

"Ooh!" Reina quickly grabbed it, adding it to her plate. She did love french toast.

They weren't fazed by my comments, they just continued eating their breakfast as I left to go get ready. Before I even grabbed my purse in my room, I sat down on my bed. I stared at the pale wall, dazed into my thoughts. 'You're so fake. You act like you're like them, but you're not.' My thoughts sneered. I dropped my head, sighing. "I guess today won't be such a good day."

I got up, grabbing my purse and keys. I went to grab my phone from my bed when I saw that a message had popped up.

"You okay?" It was Badr.

"Yep! Just had to hurry. Don't wanna be late, ya know?" I texted back, trying to ignore how my own thoughts mocked me.

"I don't mean for this to sound weird or anything," he sent, "But, your poems gave me an idea of what you're like. And if I had to say, I'd say you aren't okay."

I stared at the text message for a second. How could he have gathered that much from my poems? I hadn't thought that he would be able to see through me like that. "Thanks for the concern, Bob, but I'm okay."

"Lying is haram, Salah 😛" He joked, but he also meant it.

"Fiiiiine. Yeah. I'm not in the best of places, but I'll be okay. I've done this before." I texted back. It felt weird knowing that he was just on the other side of the wall. That when I would open the door, I would see him, sitting there with all my friends and I'd have to pretend like none of this ever happened.

"So, remember what I said earlier?" The three dots popped up. "How I wouldn't let you feel lonely or alone anymore? Yeah, well, that applies to things like this."

"Badr, you really don't have to do anything." I leaned against the door, a smile tugging at my lips.

"Nope! I said I would! You're not alone, Salah. And I'm gonna make you see that." He texted. "So when's that volunteer thing starting?"

"In like an hour." I stood up straight. "Why?"

"I'm coming with. (I'm gonna go in a separate car ofc, but I'm doing this now too.)" I let out a small laugh. His determination was admirable.

"Well, Mr. Prince in Shining Armor, that event needs to be signed up for."

"Dang it." He sent another text. "Oh, and I'm pretty sure if you were a princess, you wouldn't need a prince."

"Damn straight." I giggled quietly. "But, I think I'd like one anyway."

"I'm sure he's out there somewhere, waiting for you."

"I'd hope so." I sent back. "Well, I should get going. I guess I'll see you when I get back?"

"Yep. If I'm not with Zakir, I'll be next door."

"Alrighty, bye byeee." I tucked my phone away and opened the door, walking past the group and leaving the dorm silently. I hurried down to my car and got in, ready to get to the masjid so I could start helping out.

I parked the car and got out, slipping into the masjid. I walked to the kitchen and greeted the other women. I was immediately put to work packaging food that were going to give out to the homeless. After a couple hours, it came time for Zuhr and Asr salah. We took our time to pray, before bidding goodbye and heading back to our homes.

I could feel my hands begin to go numb as I sat down in the drivers seat of my car. I laid my head back, but was met with the unpleasant sound of a 'CREAK.' At this point, I was used to the weird noises my old Civic made, but I still got paranoid from time to time.

I tried to start the car, but it took a little time. It didn't work the first two times, so I had to stop and check what was wrong. After finding nothing under the hood, I tried again and-miraculously-it worked. The incident caused me to be a little more nervous than usual, but I just read a du'a for travel and set off. But, that was a very bad idea.

Words:
-Dasterkhan: Described as a tablecloth usually spread on the floor on which a person or people eat.
-Masjid: Mosque
-Zuhr: The first afternoon prayer
-Asr: The second afternoon prayer
-Du'a: Invocation, an act of supplication.