Wisely Troubled

❤️💜🖤💙💛

❤️💜🖤💙💛

"Nope. Nope! I'm tired of this." Eric huffed after walking into the bedroom.

Jason thought the smile before it actually crept onto his face. He slowly lifted his head from the Anthropology book but stayed draped across the bed.

"Yeah dude, it's about that time." Eric nodded with a sly grin.

Jason knew what the fuss was about. Every Friday for the past three semesters he and Eric would play this imaginary game of tug-of-war. That was how long they had been roommates. Eric couldn't stand the fact that Jason was constantly studying; during the weekdays, on the weekends, at the football games and frat parties, even during holiday breaks.

"Come on bro, we live in a Frat house for goodness sake. Have a little bit of fun."

Jason's smile grew but he didn't speak. Eric stared at Jason, waiting for something to happen so Jason shut his book.

"I know you're coming to this party with us. The Sorors are unveiling their new line."

The Bruhz in the Frat house used Jason as the taxi cab. See, Jason was perfect and nobody's perfect but Jason came extremely close. He didn't drink which made him the ideal designated driver on party nights. He was a military brat which made him disciplined and the enforcer of the house rules. He had a strong prayer life which made him the spiritual leader to his housemates. And so he wouldn't starve to death while away at school, his grandmother made it her business to teach him to cook, making him the house chef. Of all the tasks, Jason hated being the designated driver the most. He mostly hated it because the Bruhz could be more than a hand full when inebriated.

"It's at that new club on 6th. It's called H2o."

Finally, Jason was ready to speak. He looked at Eric.

"Okay, but no drinking," coached Jason.

"No drinking, irresponsibly." Eric bargained.

Jason sighed, "Fine."

Eric slammed his fist into his hand then backed into the hallway before yelling, "He's in, y'all! Let's do this!"

Jason shook his head after hearing various praises from the other housemates. Eric re-entered the bedroom.

"Oh, remember we gotta scoop up Tyrone from the airport." Eric mentioned.

"Remember?" Jason frowned before sitting up on his bed. "No one told me about this in the first place."

Eric joked, "Tyrone just buried his dad, man. Are you really about to make him sit at the airport because I forgot to tell you he needed a ride?"

Jason laughed, not at Tyrone's unfortunate lost but at Eric's sense of humor.

"That's what I thought."

"I'm just saying, somebody's gotta invest in a car next year. I can't be the only one in the house with a car anymore. It's too much. It's crazy, actually!"

Like every Friday before, for the past three semesters, it was that statement that kicked off the weekend's shenanigans...

Before long Jason and the Bruhz were piled into his 2012 Ford Explorer. Not holding up his end of the bargain, Eric had already lost count of the shots he had taken. He and the other Bruhz were drinking Patrón like it was water. This frustrated Jason. Already, the night felt as if it was going to take a horrible turn. They had been calling Tyrone since leaving the Frat house but got no response. When they finally arrived at the airport, Tyrone was nowhere in sight which meant they had to keep circling the pick-up lane. After the forth time around, Eric suggested to go inside. Jason felt that the suggestion made sense. However, everyone was too intoxicated to drive as well as too intoxicated to enter the airport without being an embarrassment.

"Eric come sit in the driver seat. Don't. Drive. Sit!" Jason coached.

Jason felt in the pit of his stomach that this was a bad idea. He was much smarter than the idea, much wiser than the idea. He knew better from dealing with the Bruhz weekend after weekend for the past three semesters. Yet, he decided to chance it.

"But I thought we couldn't block the pick-up lane," reminded Eric.

Jason thought first then spoke, "Okay, if somebody comes to tell you to move then drive. But. Don't! Unless someone says something."

Soon Eric was in the driver seat and Jason was searching the airport. Ten minutes later, Tyrone called.

"Where you at, man?" Jason greeted.

"At home. Why are y'all blowing up my phone?"

"Home?"

"Umm, Baltimore."

Jason huffed, "When are you coming back to school?"

"That's next Friday."

In that split second Jason became angry but it wasn't Tyrone's fault. It was Eric's and now Jason could not reach the car fast enough. Once outside the airport, Jason instantly regretted closing his Anthropology book. He instantly regretted making Eric his roommate. And he instantly regretting joining the fraternity all-together. Eric was being placed into handcuffs by a police officer and the other Bruhz were also being detained, seated on the curb with plastic ties around their wrists. To reassure Jason that his bad idea was, in fact, a bad idea, the front end of his car had been smashed into the back of another car.

He mumbled to himself, "God?"

An officer walked over.

"Are you Jason Wilks?"

Jason looked to Eric and the Bruhz. He felt foolish.

"Can I get you to walk in a straight line, sir?"

The End.
Reference Proverbs 13:20 (NLT)

Thoughts?

So be it. Amen. 💟

✝️🙏🏾