Where The Party At?

💛💚❤️💙

💛💚❤️💙

Deja slept with her head cocked backwards and lips slightly apart. Soft snores managed to escape and even a bit of drool, that's how exhausted she was. The problem? The problem was that she had fallen into a deep slumber while seated in the third row of Professor Hymes' Algorithms and Complexities class. Deja was a Computer Science major so her course load was intense. The computing, the mathematics—academically, it was all very rigorous on the brain. Yet, she was pretty successful at holding her own. Her grades were just about prefect. Currently, she was averaging a 3.78 GPA. She was smart! The Dean of the Computer Science department might even label her as brilliant. Deja was gifted, indeed.

However, today seemed different. There was a strange vibe. Something was off. Professor Hymes noticed it as well as Deja's roommate; Yolanda. She gently nudged Deja, embarrassed of the unsolicited attention from their professor.

"Girl, Professor Hymes can barely lecture with you sleeping right in his face. Wake up!" Yolanda whispered.

Deja leapt from her rest. She wiped the corners of her mouth and licked her lips while sitting upright in her seat. Deja, then, made eye contact with Professor Hymes. He nodded and she smiled. Deja began to listen and attempted to scribble down notes. Except, she was soon dozing off to sleep again. The next time Deja was awaken, it was time to dismiss.

Yolanda nudged her roommate once again. This time she was a tad bit annoyed and much more aggressive.

"Deja! What is up with you, girl?" She smacked. "You are like totally zone out. You're so far gone lately. Wherever you are, though, you'd better come back quickly before you fail this class."

Deja felt guilty for not having a reason, or even an excuse. She knew why she had slipped away but could not share the events with her roommate—at least not yet, anyway.

Deja gathered her belongings and shoved them all into her backpack. She was about to follow Yolanda out of the auditorium when Professor Hymes called her name. Yolanda looked back at Deja. Her face gave an expression of 'I told you so' but she didn't care to speak it.

"I'll wait for you by the stairwell." Yolanda mentioned.

Deja nodded, turning to meet Professor Hymes at the podium.

"Ms. Hawkins?" He greeted, confusion sat on his voice. "Not to be personal but are you okay? You're never in class anymore. You sit here but you aren't present."

"Uh, yeah. I just have a lot of responsibilities that I'm trying to balance. A good night's rest has became a luxury rather than a necessity. I'm sorry. I'll try not to sleep during anymore of your lectures."

Professor Hymes gave a refreshing smile. It was infectious. It caused Deja to smile also.

"I want every single one of my students to pass my class. I care about the success rate of each of you. If you all win, I have won." He assured. "I don't want to lose you anymore, Ms. Hawkins. I'll come looking for you every time you stray."

"Thank you." Deja agreed.

Together, they walked and exited the Lecture Hall.

"Professor Hymes, if I email you an address. Would you be willing to show up with no questions asked?" Deja finally gained enough courage to ask.

Professor Hymes thought, "I'll see what I can do if I get said email."

Deja smiled, meeting with Yolanda by the stairwell as promised. The two of them watched Professor Hymes travel further down the hallway, towards his office.

Night fell.

Back at the dorm, Deja had managed to complete all of her important assignments based upon due dates and deadlines. And of course she was exhausted. But tonight was the night so she just had to press her way. Tomorrow she could sleep. And the day after. And the day after that. It would all be over—her unexplained behavior.

She closed her Calculus book and sprang from her desk.

"Yolanda!" Deja projected.

At that second, Yolanda exited the bathroom that they shared with the two girls next door. Leslie and Eva were their suite mates.

"Yes?" Yolanda questioned.

"That new club. H2o? We should go tonight."

Yolanda sighed only to oblige. Her week had been strenuous so a Friday night of the latest hot spot would be ideal.

"Sure." Yolanda grinned.

Deja cheered in her mind then scurried through the bathroom to the door of Leslie and Eva. She knocked. The door opened. Eva stood, already dressed for a club atmosphere.

"The new line of Sorors are being revealed tonight. H2o?" Eva asked.

Deja nodded, excitedly.

"We're there." Eva promised."

Later.

Deja, Yolanda, Leslie and Eva arrived at H2o. It was packed. Upon entry, Deja turned up missing. Yet, the girls ran into Professor Hymes. It was odd seeing her college professor at a club but Yolanda didn't dwell on the thought. She and Leslie and Eva soon became engulfed in the experience.

Thirty minutes of time lapsed, the club when pitch black and then moments after, a spotlight shined onto a line of girls wrapped in purple silk scarfs and hidden behind oversized sunshades. Then singing began.

Yolanda recognized Deja—who was first in line—immediately. And she erupted into delight, next! Her roommate was back. She was found. Randomly, Professor Hymes appeared next to Yolanda.

"You didn't know?" He asked.

Yolanda shook her head.

Professor Hymes nodded, "I knew. Faithfully, I give the same speech every semester. And rightfully, I get an invite to rejoice in the return."

Yolanda was pleased. Tonight they would celebrate.

The End.
Reference Luke 15: 1-7 (NIV)

Thoughts?

Scriptures?

So be it. Amen. 💟

✝️🙏🏾