Untied Shoelaces

👟👟👟

👟👟👟

Colorful! Festive! Everything about the hallways captured her attention. Her imagination ran wild as she held onto her daddy's big, strong hand. She was doubtful yet inquisitive while clinging to her baby blanket. It was a rainbow of pastels that were hand-woven by her Grandma Sylvia—her mom's mom. Nap-time couldn't come soon enough. The blanket would ease her overactive little mind, making her feel safe. Indeed, it made her feel safe. And she needed to feel safe. For reasons beyond her knowledge, she was at a new school. Well into the academic year, she was plucked from her old school and planted at this one.

At last, they reached the Pre-K hallway. It was also known as the 'Purple' hallway. The first thing she noticed was the decorative bulletin broad and its enchanting snowmen. They were crafted of construction paper and cotton balls. That's right, Christmas was on its way and she was excited about that fact. She immediately wanted to make a snowman of her own so that it hung on display with the others.

Soon, they stopped at a beautiful door that looked like a fireplace with stockings and framed photos of children. She looked up at her daddy. He smiled down at her before knocking.

They waited.

After, the door opened.

Her eyes landed on a woman—Ms. Lindsey. Ms. Lindsey was youthful and stylish and pretty and reminded her of her mother. Perfect.

"Hello there! You must be Treasure?" Ms. Lindsey guessed.

She slowly nodded.

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, my lady." Ms. Lindsey grinned, performing a formal curtsy and emphasizing the word 'pleasure.'

Instantly, she felt like a princess. The nerves quickly flew away. She let go of his hand and looked up at her daddy.

"Bye!" She eagerly waved.

He smirked and bent down to kiss the top of her head.

"I'll see you this evening." He promised.

"Okay." She agreed, reaching for the hand of Ms. Lindsey.

Inside was magical. Her old classroom felt nothing like this. Her old teacher wasn't as warm and welcoming. Her old desk didn't seem as tailored to her small frame. Her old classmates didn't seem as smart as these. She was in paradise. That is, until it was time to go to ancillary—PE. She noticed something that made her uncomfortable.

Annie was the line leader. Her job was to lead by example throughout the campus. Yassir was the caboose. His job was to monitor the line from the rear, to keep their classmates single-filed.

During PE, she saw that Octavio and Esperanza also had jobs. They got to carry the dodge balls and jump ropes to the blacktop. And when it was time for the water break—at the outdoors water fountain—Parker's job was to count to ten while everyone drank a turn.

During lunch, Carson's job was passing out the lunch cards.

For restroom breaks, Lisa was the restroom monitor for the girls restroom and Kayden was the monitor for the boys restroom.

Clara collected the completed worksheets after each of their assignments and Matthew always passed out fresh worksheets for the new assignment.

Kylie fed the classroom hamster and Kamilah gave her water to drink.

It was soon realized that every classmate had a job and responsibility but her. She didn't like that fact. It made her feel different and out of place. It reminded her that she wasn't really part of the school or classroom.

When she asked Ms. Lindsey about it, Ms. Lindsey asked, "Well Treasure, what do you have a knack for?"

She thought. Confusion rested on her face. She didn't know what a 'knack' was or what it meant but she desperately wanted a job and responsibility like her peers.

"Umm," She stumbled, pulling at the hem of her khaki colored uniform skirt, then confessed. "I don't know what that means."

"Of course, I'm sorry. What are you good at? What are you good at that might be helpful to our classroom?" Ms. Lindsey smiled.

She traced the classroom with her eyes as Ms. Lindsey patiently waited. She was good at a lot of things but none seemed to be helpful for their classroom. She gasped. She had received an 'aha' moment! She had observed that Jessica, Melvin, Corey and Jadore all had untied shoe laces! She could tie shoes even though she currently had on sparkly pink cowgirl boots.

She grinned widely, "I'm good at tying shoes. I learned from my cousin, Crystal. She's a big kid."

Ms. Lindsey nodded, "Well, there are twenty-six of you all and Ms. Lindsey only has two hands. That would be perfect. Our classroom definitely has need for an official shoe tier. When can you start?"

She bounced a bit and clapped her hands. She was so excited to be like everyone else. She couldn't wait to share the news with her daddy.

Later, in the car, she was finally able to share her story. Her daddy drove, glancing at her from the rearview mirror every now and then.

"And you know what else, daddy? We switch jobs every month but I get to keep mine because nobody else knows how to tie shoes." She giggled, bubbling over in her car seat. "Ms. Lindsey was bragging to all the other Pre-K teachers about me. Ms. Nelson said I should give lessons at recess time. Everybody really likes me now. They just get up from their desk and come over to me when they need their shoe tied."

Her daddy gave a proud nod, "Favor ain't fair."

She didn't quite understand what her daddy meant by his remark but she agreed with him very much.

The End.
Loose reference Proverbs 18:16 (NLT)

Thoughts?

Scriptures?

So be it. Amen. 💟

✝️🙏🏾