5

My thoughts stilled, sticking together like molasses. My eyes were fixated upon the boy heading towards me, intent in each of his steps. I no longer had any urge to hurt him, but something told me we didn't share the same opinion. One look at his balled fists sent me running, low branches tearing at my clothes, tangling my hair, scratching my cheeks.

"Where do you think you're going?" Gally taunted from behind me, malice coating his words. I could hear him catching up.

I was going the wrong way---the forest grew thicker with each fleeting moment, but I couldn't stop and assess my current location. All I knew was that I had to get back to the Glade, where being out in the open meant certain safety.

Gally's voice was close enough that I got terrified goosebumps. "Why are you running, Emily? I just wanna have a chat, that's all."

I pushed myself, my legs threatening to give way, the muscles in my calves burning and straining---

And then Gally shoved me to the ground. My head slammed against a fallen branch, my vision blurring, my mouth drying---

"Help," I wailed, as loud as I could, "Help me!"

Gally was smiling, a grimace devoid of any kind feeling. "They won't hear," he whispered. "You really don't know your way around here, do you?"

I tried getting up, but his foot landed on my hand, crushing my fingers. I hollered in pain, and Gally knelt next to me. I was pinned down, as though I was nothing but helpless prey. "Now, you're either going to be quiet"—He leaned in closer—"or I'm going to shut you up."

I knew where this was going, I could feel it in my stomach, curdling my blood, tightening my throat. Being silent was not an option if I wanted to have a shot at getting out unscathed.

"HELP!" I screamed, using all the air in my lungs. "Somebody help m—"

Gally's punch to my stomach sent my teeth clanging and my vision doubling, the pain souring into an overwhelming nausea. Satisfied with my reaction, the way I started to curl up, Gally grinned and struck again, in the exact same spot. Dark spots stained what my eyes saw, as if I was stuck underneath a glass table and somebody was pouring drops of blood on it.

"Stop, plea---"

"This is what you deserve for making me look weak," Gally spat out. He grasped my wrists, pulling them above my head. A different kind of nausea invaded my mind, one that made me freeze. The pain had sent me spiralling, but the sight of Gally's crooked teeth and nose as his eyes ran over my body, from head to toe, was much, much worse. I tried thinking straight and wrenching myself free, but his grip was much stronger than mine could ever be. He slammed my hands onto the ground, numbing my fingers, then began squeezing, tighter, tighter, tighter. "Oh, I believe we're gonna have some fun---"

I didn't hear Newt as much as I saw him, latching onto Gally's shoulder and violently pulling him back, throwing him onto the ground. Shock prevented me from moving, nor did I see what was going on just a few metres away, but my ears picked up on the sounds---the thud of Newt's kicks, the sick, wet crunch of something breaking, Gally's howls, Newt's roar as he kept on hitting and hitting and---

"Shuck, Newt, stop, stop, are you insane---"

"Emily. Emily, are you alright? Can you hear me?"

"---you could've killed him, are you out of your right mind---"

"Look at her, Alby, goddamnit---"

"Emily, it's Chuck, do you think you can stand?"

"Help me get her up, shank, Gally isn't waking up---"

The chorus of voices carried me into a bleak, brutal unconsciousness.