14

Before I knew it, three months had flown by like mere days. The Glade had become home, and some of the Gladers I even dared call  family.

Gally had gotten out of the Slammer a few days after the second Gathering, only to be thrown in again, because he attempted to get his revenge on me again. The Gladers, even the ones who didn't really sympathise with me, were cross, particularly a blond one.

Chuck, well, he grew up faster than I could've ever expected. I'd become something like his older sister, and he became the little brother I needed to protect---even though, since my fight with Gally, nobody dared to speak against or lay a hand on Chuck, not while he was under my wing.

The bond between Newt and I got stronger with each day. He became one of my closest friends, even though we still had the occasional quarrel about how one of us needed to be more careful. He looked after me, and I did, too—as much as one could really look after a boy—but the feeling that unfurled in my chest every time I saw him never really went away. And going into the Maze didn't seem so frightening with him by my side.

Minho had publicly claimed the title of my older brother. We got along really well, and he understood almost all of my problems---though not all of them. Since we had to spend most of our time together in the Maze, he and Newt and I became inseparable in no time.

The four of us were a small, flawed family. And nobody dared come between us.

Things had even changed between Alby and I. He continued to teach me constellations and sometimes acted like a protective shadow cast over me, making sure no harm was done upon me; after all, he was the leader of the Glade and no one opposed him.

I also grew up, without even noticing. I learnt to collaborate with others, stopped starting fights anytime a Glader made an improper comment---though I was still known to kick ass every now and then—gave everything I had, made jokes that had the Gladers rolling on the ground and won most of the campfire games that involved cards—Chuck had been my mentor. Being a Runner became easier and easier with each run I successfully completed. Minho had once proposed making me Keeper of the Runners, only to be berated by Newt and Gally, for, I hoped, completely different reasons.

I also found myself going back to the Medjack cabin, drawn both to the fun Jeff, Clint and I had when we were together, but also by the feeling of making things right, of healing. Sooner than later, I was offered the opportunity to become a part-time Medjack, whenever I wasn't going into the Maze. I accepted without a second thought, glad to have something to do on my free days.

And though I hadn't yet achieved the great feat of getting along with everyone else, that was the least pressing of my problems. I already had all the friends I needed.

Three months I'd been there. Months that passed as fast as days, but felt as if they'd been whole years.