Chapter 6

Back in the common room, Raven was shattered.

She'd never felt a regret so strong.

Why did she have to be so harsh? It was clear from his reaction that she had torn him to pieces. I mean sure, she had expected he would be upset at having to end his "win her over" game, but his reaction was so much more severe than she'd anticipated.

'M-maybe he actually likes us..?' Timid uttered softly.

The thought slithered through her mind so suddenly that she was unprepared for the emotional havoc such a thought would cause. Nearby, a mug exploded.

'This is why! This is why I had to end it!' She thought vehemently, 'Being around me puts him in danger...'

Somehow though, knowing she did the right thing wasn't very comforting.

And there was a deeper part of her whispering a different truth.

'You're afraid...' It muttered, 'You know this is all a game to him, but to you...it's so much more.'

This time it was the toaster that exploded.

Raven tightened her grip on the bag of medicine as she acknowledged a part of her mind she'd tried hard to ignore over the years.

"Love." She spoke the word aloud in surprise.

That particular emoticlone had been noticeably quiet in her mind since Beast Boy had started his attempts.

'Raven...Sooner or later, I've got to come out. You can't ignore me forever!'

Raven stared hard at the door Beast Boy had recently vacated.

She drew in a shuddery breath before replying.

"Watch me."
—————————————————————————
There was no other way of explaining it.

Beast Boy's heart was completely, utterly, destroyed.

He wondered briefly if this made him less of a man as he lay on his bed, sobbing.

It'd been at least an hour since Raven had broken his heart by telling him he had no chance, and his tears were still coming strong.

Based on the severity of his reaction, Beast Boy was thinking long and hard about exactly what it is he felt for Raven.

He'd thought it was just a little crush, I mean she was certainly very pretty. She was also very funny in a sarcastic way. And of course, she had more intelligence in one of her brain cells than he had in his whole body.

The more Beast Boy thought about Raven, the more he began to realize that he was in love with her.

And the more it hurt.

After another twenty or so minutes of crying, Beast Boy managed to pull himself together enough to sit up.

He didn't dare to leave his room for the rest of the day (or year!) lest he run into Raven. He didn't think he could handle seeing her now after his revelation. Especially since he now knew he had no chance whatsoever.

But even if he couldn't leave, maybe he could at least get some fresh air to help him calm down.

He pushed himself off the bed but stopped, realizing he'd stepped on something hard.

Earlier as he'd lain crying, he'd accidentally kicked something off of his bed.

'This must've been what fell.' He thought to himself, picking up the worn leather book from the floor.

When he spotted the gold lettered word, Diary, written across the top, he suddenly remembered going into Raven's room earlier to grab her a book.

As he'd gone to leave, he'd spotted her diary sitting on the end table next to her bed and couldn't resist grabbing it. He figured he'd take just a quick little peek and see if there was anything in there that could help him with his plans to win her over.

"Guess I won't be needing this now." He chuckled sadly. "She wants nothing to do with me..." He finished miserably.

Moving forward to put the book on top of his desk, he tripped and fell over an extension cord.

Slamming hard to the ground, he let out a loud, "OOF!" And the book flew out of his hands, landing open on the floor in front of him.

Rubbing his bruised elbow where it had hit the floor, he reached forward to pick up the book but stopped when something caught his eye.

He'd seen his name, Garfield, not Beast Boy, written in her diary.

"Sh-She wrote about me..?" He wondered aloud.

His curiosity was killing him and he knew it would be so so wrong, but...

"Just one entry...I'll just read one."

And so he picked up the diary and began to read.