[ 34 ] The Camp Trip - Part Two

Chapter song :  My Skin by Natalie Merchant

➴          ➵       ➴        ➵       ➴      ➵

•  C H A P T E R

T H I R T Y   F O U R    •

A camp trip that I initially thought was supposed to help me forget about all my problems is turning out to do the exact opposite.

Upon my discovery of these newfound sentiments, I keep berating myself all night as to why my stupid emotions would allow me to have these stupid feelings for him.

He's been nothing but cold-hearted towards you from the very beginning and yet you choose to like him?

Those words keep echoing in my head as I toss and turn on my bed throughout the entire night, unable to shake away these excruciating thoughts.

Given how I didn't sleep all evening, I end up taking a nap once the morning rises.

What starts off as a small nap turns into hours of sleep and by the time I awaken from what seems like an eternal slumber, I decide to take a quick shower before heading over to the gym.

For someone who has a bad cardio, whenever it comes to escaping my problems I run at a high speed on the treadmill even when my lungs are on the verge of giving out.

There's no one in sight when I enter the gym which allows me to workout for as long as I wish. I end up increasing the speed level of the treadmill to a maximum and it's not until I end the running session that my whole body is covered in droplets of sweat which end up soaking my sport bra and compression leggings.

Upon catching a glimpse of my frame on the mirrors of the gymnasium, I perceive my tied down hair scattered all over the place. In addition, some of my strands are loosely drenched in sweat.

Subsequently, I attempt to wipe all the wetness away with the use of a small towel but end up discontinuing the task due to impatience.

After I swiftly grasp my track jacket from the treadmill's handle, I decide to take a quick walk to the forest that's about a few kilometres away from the hotel. Despite the warm temperature, the subtle wind induces me to slightly zip up.

It's been three days since the excursion and I want to make the most out of it by exploring all the hidden places of the island.

The forest back home pales in comparison to the scenery unfolding before me as I delve deep into the woods. I stare in awe at the infinite dispersed trees and their motionless nature seem to call at my soul as they stand in their sublime glory.

Their roots covered in mass blankets of greens indicate that these trees have lived for hundreds of years. Each approaching step feels like a trespass into an enchanting forest. Scurrying squirrels and the sound of rustling leaves are enough to summon me into presence and subside my anxious thoughts.

The streaming sound of a waterfall compels me to shuffle forward before pausing over the edge of a cliff, providing me an overlook of the waves of the waterfall that delicately streams down onto the surface of the water.

The sudden view of a marmot creeping over a creek rock possesses me to retrieve my phone from the pocket of my vest before I aim to capture the creature on video.

It's not every day one gets to encounter such fascinating species in their lifetime.

"She's so unbelievably stupid dude, I can't wait to ask her best friend to prom in front of the entire school."