[ 37 ] Leave it to you guys to make me the third wheel

➴ ➵ ➴ ➵ ➴ ➵

• C H A P T E R 

T H I R T Y S E V E N •

P a r t o n e

Throughout the semester, the biggest punishment a teacher could've given any student in Roosevelt High was an expulsion to say the least but the cancellation of prom definitely tops the cake.

After the teacher caught everyone drinking alcohol when he specifically warned us against it in the beginning, it's safe to say he lost his marbles.

He thought it would be fitting to abolish prom as a rightful punishment due to our acts of rebelliousness. Even those who were guilty by association also had to face the consequences.

It was now up to seniors to rent a venue for the event as the school authorities were no longer on board to invest any funds related to prom thereby leaving everything in our hands.

"Does he even have the right to cancel prom? That's insane." Anthony kvetches with an incensed look colouring his features as he folds his arms begrudgingly.

Meanwhile, we're all heading back to the hotel after a long episode of protestation between seniors and the science teacher. However, this didn't resolve anything since the teacher ensured to validate his statement by calling the principal — who was also on board with the punishment.

Dean whose arm is wrapped around my shoulders doesn't seem fazed by the situation as he snickers callously, "I'm sure they're bluffing. Besides, even if they refuse to invest funds, I heard they were going to select some cheap ass hotel for prom so it changes nothing."

For a momentary reflection, Anthony seems to be in deep thought before his eyes gleam as though he just realized something. He briefly pats Dean on the arm as he recalls, "Bro, we could totally have prom at that sophisticated venue we went to years ago for that masquerade ball remember?"

In a moment of distraction, Dean attempts to unknit my furrowed brows with his fingers as we hold each other's gaze in a time stilling moment by the time we step into the elevator.

Lately, he's picked the habit of touching me at every chance he gets rendering me to become submissive to his touches every single time.

"Bro are you even listening to me?" Anthony asks in a perplexed tone after he presses the elevator button.

As we're still lost in each other's eyes, Dean absentmindedly proceeds to tuck a loose strand behind my ear as his touch immediately elicits goosebumps within.

Anthony snorts in response to Dean's lack of response before he deadpans, "Leave it to you guys to make me the third wheel. I'm starting to reevaluate my decision of encouraging you guys to be together."

Dean finally averts his gaze from mine to Anthony as he says, "If you don't wanna be the third wheel, then man up and go tell Natalie how you feel or you'll regret it for the rest of your life."

His words take Anthony by surprise as the latter proceeds to furrow his brows before he slowly shakes his head.

Upon nodding my head in agreement, Anthony avoids our gaze by inspecting the floor as he stuffs his hands in the pockets of his shorts.

He goes into that daze of his whenever anyone mentions her name before he breaks the silence by clarifying, "What? Man, she and I can never be. I'm not ready to be committed to anyone, especially someone who can't even be committed to their friends."

Ouch.

Anthony has always been like a brother figure to me — meaning his protective nature always emerged when it came to his intolerance for those who've mistreated me with the exception of Dean given that they're best friends.