[ 10 ] Girlfight?

❝ Those sweet lips. My, oh my, I could kiss those lips all night long. Good things come to those who wait. ❞

       ― Jess C. Scott, The Intern

➴     ➵     ➴     ➵    ➴   ➵

C H A P T E R   T E N 

Two years ago

Every Thursday after school, I'd occasionally wait for Stacey to finish her volleyball practice before we'd leave school together. Since we started to drift apart and talk less due to us being in different social groups. Thus, thursday was the only day when we had the opportunity to catch up. I always felt like the cause of our separation was mainly because Natalie and Aaliyah were never really close with Stacey.

They never understood why Stacey and I were close since, as cliche as it sounds, we lived in two different worlds. I mean she was one of the most popular girls in school whereas I was simply content with hanging out with my close friends.

    "You've been waiting for Stacey?"

I tilted my head to the left, only to come across a pair of familiar stormy eyes. An amused expression flitted across Anthony's handsome face, as he slowly climbed the staircase before taking a seat next to me. His shirt was damp which was understandable considering, their coach made them take point-blank shots. In addition, he made them run a few lapses, for an entire hour before starting a match.

          "Of course, why else would I be staying here after school voluntarily?"

He threw me a playful smirk. "Oh, I don't know. . .maybe to watch Dean play perhaps?"

I stared at him, a mixture of bewilderment and confusion overshadowing my expression. "I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about."

I'd often come to see the boy's basketball practice while I'd wait for Stacey to finish her volleyball practice at the gymnasium, located right next door to the basketball court.

Okay so. . . maybe the other reason was to watch Dean focus intensively on the sport, as he played strong defence in order to prevent easy baskets by the opposing team.

Anthony was right like always, but was there a chance I was willing to admit it?

Hell no.

"You could've fooled me." his tone was playful.

I gave him a blank stare. "Like I said, I don't know what you're talking about and speaking of which, where is he anyway?"

He shrugged. "I stumbled upon Dean and Stacey's path in the hallway around the time I went to the boy's locker room."

That was strange. It's been ten minutes since Dean left the basketball court. I thought he just went to fetch something in the boy's locker room. What could they possibly be doing together?

Stacey revealed that she had began to develop strong feelings for Dean during the time when him and I started going out. Since we were best friends, we weren't about to let a boy come between our friendship so, she later assured me that she had moved on.

Needless to say, I sometimes got a bit insecure from the playful interactions they exchanged whenever I was in their presence.

"What could Stacey and Dean possibly be doing together?" I deadpanned, my eyebrows knitting into a small frown.

Anthony threw me a glazed look. "Um. . .I don't know. . .they're probably just talking about random stuff. . .listen I'm kinda, sorta thirsty so do you think you could —" He paused for a second, to gesture at the rose coloured bottle of water in my hands.