Mark - Engagement (Angst)

Imagine...

You are walking across university campus to your next class. You hear your name being called from behind and turn around to see one of your best friends, Mark.

"Hey," he greets you with his usually friendly smile after having jogged up to you.

"Hi Mark, how's it going?" you ask, returning his smile.

"Amazing," he exclaims with his original smile widened.

"What makes it so amazing?" you continue curiously.

"So you know that girl I've been seeing? Rachel?" he asks. You mentally sigh because you secretly have feeling for Mark, but never said anything because you feared that it would ruin your friendship. You nod your head, forcing a smile. "Well, we've been dating for a while, so I finally worked up the guts and I asked her to marry me." You stop in your tracks and look at him with wide eyes.

"Y-you did?" you ask, totally shocked by what you just heard. He just nods his head, still with a smile plastered on. "W-what did she say?"

"That's the amazing part," he says. You sigh mentally again, already knowing the answer. You make another smile appear on your face, so you don't let him know how you really feel.

"Congratulations. I'm happy for you," you say, lowering your volume in order to prevent any tears from falling from your eyes. He chuckles a little and nods.

"Thanks," he says, letting out a big ball of air. "We are waiting until after graduation though, so we can both focus on school right now."

"That's a smart idea," you reply.

"Well, I want you to come obviously. I don't think you'll be in the wedding, but I'd really like it if you just showed up as one of the guests," he says.

"Of course I'll be there, Mark. You're one of my best friends," you say as you gently hit his arm. He smiles brightly again.

"Awesome. Don't worry, I'll get you a good seat." You laugh and with that, he says bye and leaves. You take a deep breath as you feel your heart break into a million pieces. You head to class and try to forget about the news.

After graduation....

You show up at the wedding and there are already a lot of people there. You stop and say hi to a few people you know on your way to look for Mark. You find him in his dressing room with the help of Jackson. The sight of him nervously examining his tux in the mirror makes you smile.

"Wedding day gidders getting ya?" you ask, walking in and closing the door behind you. He turns around, slightly startled by the sudden sound of your voice. You chuckle a little as you walk up to him, nerves sprawled out all over his face.

"I didn't think I'd be this nervous," he said, turning around to face you.

"Don't worry too much, you look great," you say. "Excpet this tie. You still haven't learned how to tie one right, have you?" You begin to undo it and fix it for him.

"Not since that play in first grade," he said, making you laugh. You finish and smile as you take a step back.

"There. Now you look perfect," you say, trying to hold back the tears that are beginning to form. He remains silent as he turns back around to examine himself in the mirror.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" he asks you suddenly without changing positions. You nod you head in response. He faces you again, but this time with concern in his eyes. "Why didn't you tell me all this time that you liked me?" You are taken back to here him ask you that, especially considering it was his wedding day and he wasn't marrying you.

"I-I don't know," you stutter. "Because I didn't want it to ruin our friendship." He nods his head slowly and turns his attention to the floor, remaining silent for a minute.

"What if..." he begins, hesitant to continue. "What if I told you that I liked you too and I only started dating Rachel because I was trying to get over you?" Your heart starts race as you let out a deep breath.

"Mark...don't...don't do this right now," you say, your voice beginning to become shaky.

"I know the timing is off. Like really off. But it's true," he says, stepping closer to you.

"You don't know how much I've wanted to hear you say that to me," you reply. "But, it's too late now. You have a great girl waiting out there for you and that's the person you should be with right now." He fell silent again, but kept his eyes on you. You sniff and wipe your eyes before saying, "I gonna go now. I'll see you out there." You don't stick around long enough to see his reaction and leave him alone in the room.