Prologue

Fanart: By helyxzero on Deviantart

Word Count: 1090

It was one of those very hot days in Kings Landing. The air was dry and heavy and scratching against the rocks of the Red Keep. Combined the scorch of the sun it felt like all of the city was suddenly situated at the bottom of the seven hells, it was hard to breath.

Queen Cersei didn't take kindly to his uncomfortable weather, she could barely take the heat. She had no idea how those sneaky Dornishmen didn't burn alive by now in their bloody deserts. She sat under the god given shade sail that managed to keep her out of the heat, her eyes were permanently focused on a group of young boys playing in the bay.

There was maybe twelve of them splashing around and jumping on eachother. Her eldest sons were easily recognizable in the water due to their vivid hair colours, one blonde, the other black. They were twins, only six years of age, different as night and day. They had begged her all morning to go swim with the other young lords, which was strange since usually she couldn't get them to agree on anything. They both had powerful personalities and fought endlessly. Though she had no interest in going to the shore, she was so glad to see them be in unison for once that she agreed.

The other mothers have left to stand by their husbands, they were all very happy to have their children play with the little princes. They thought it was an honor, but Cersei didn't really care, she neither liked nor cared for them. She wanted her children to have a bit of fun and then go back inside where they would be safe.

Her peace was interrupted when she felt another presence next to her. She knew right away who it was, she didn't even have to look.

Her own twin brother Jaime was a lot like her. They both had the same golden hair, green eyes and pearly white teeth. As young children it was hard to tell them apart but when they became adults that all changed, they were still alike but not like before. Cersei believed their personalities were similar, both cunning, confident and ambitious but she was much more intelligent, Jaime was always the stupidest Lannister. Yet she still loved him. They loved eachother much more than a brother and sister should, but for obvious reasons their affair stayed very low key. He was her brother and her lover all the same.

"You'll cook alive in that armor" She said throwing him a glance. As part of the Kings guard Jaime spend half of his life in that thing, she couldn't imagine the torture.

Jaime smirked "Part of the job"

They both looked over at the boys. The mothers and a few of their husbands were keeping watch to make sure none of the children drowned.

Jaime's eyes focused on this dark-haired nephew who was on the completely other side of the bay than his brother. He had gathered a group of five others and they were all playing a game to see who can throw a stone the furthest into the bay. All the boys looked to him and he was definitely the dominant voice.

Jaime smiled "Lyonel's a born leader"

Cersei's eyes narrowed as she looked across from one son to the other.

"Joffrey is older, he's the heir" she said defensively sensing an incoming argument.

"That depends" He quickly shot back.

Cersei turned to him gracefully but her eyes were filled with anger.

"You know I'm right, you know who he is" He added confidently.

She didn't reply just bringing her gaze to Lyonel again, leaning back into her chair stiffly as a board.

"Joffrey is yours, they're twins" she resorted quietly "How would that even be possible?"

The man shrugged "I don't know, but I know I'm right, how else would you explain the black hair?"

"Tyrion's hair is partly black" She said though she knew it was not a good argument.

Tyrion, their little brother was a dwarf and unlike their whole family he didn't look Lannister-ish. His hair was light blonde with black strands. No one knew where he got this features from and everyone just blamed this on him being a curse from the God's on their father Tywin. He was an exception to the family and his miscolored hair genes made a weak claim on Lyonel's inky black mane.

"And what of his face? His strength? The name you gave him?" Jaime listed watching Lyonel picked up a stone and toss it so far is nearly hit the cliff of the bay.

"Robert picked the na-" she started but Jaime quickly interrupted.

"Because he looked like a Baratheon and the others got fitting Lannister names" He mocked.

Cersei and Jaime had two younger children, only daughter Myrcella who was two and baby Tommen. Both children like Joffrey had the golden locks and look like picture perfect little lions.

"He's only got your eyes, otherwise he's purely Robert, even resembles that boy Renly too" He chuckled bitterly "The people noticed too, the black stag they call him"

She denied it everytime. To Jaime and to herself. She didn't want him to be Robert's, she didn't want a child from the man she hated and found so vile. Sharing a child with Robert may have been her dream at one point but that all changed on their wedding night when he called out the Stark girls name and it only got worse every day she spent in the marriage, her resentment only grew as Robert disrespected her by fucking whores. She absolutely loathed the man. She wanted so bad for Lyonel to be Jaime's, but everytime she saw the dark hair she knew the truth, in her heart she knew that he was the true heir of the King. Would he be like Robert? Would he also be a deadbeat who only liked to drink, whore and battle? Would it hurt her to look at him everyday and see walking, living proof of her unhappy marriage and a constant reminder of it?

She didn't want to hate him, he was her son.

"We will speak no more of this" She hissed standing up "No one can know, Joffrey is the heir"

She held her dress as she walked away in a fury heading for the stairs.

Jaime last words stopped her briefly, freezing on the first step.

"Lyonel's Robert's favorite"

Cersei didn't respond, her heart dropping to her stomach, but she didn't show it. She wouldn't let anything interfere with her happiness.

"Better get back to the King brother" she replied and with a graceful sigh continued to walk down the stairs.