Chapter Five - Betray or be Betrayed

Fanart: By MattDeMino on Deviantart

Word Count: 4401

King's Landing – 298AC

Ned have always thought that Robert drinking himself to death was a possibility.

But he had not expected it to happen during a hunt. Robert was an expert in hunting. He had more fur and animal heads than anyone Ned ever knew. He was strong and fierce and never missed his target.

Yet there the King was dying with his intestines split by the boars tusks.

He was dying full of regrets and unmade promises. He wanted Joffrey to be a successful King, he really did love the children Cersei told him were his. How was he supposed to reveal the terrifying truth to him? It was be cruel.

He wrote down all the last wishes Robert wanted.

"This is the will and word of Robert of House Baratheon, the First of his Name, King of the Andals and all the rest—put in the damn titles, you know how it goes. I do hereby command Eddard of House Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Hand of the King, to serve as Lord Regent and Protector of the Realm upon my" he coughed "upon my death to rule in my" he coughed again "in my stead, until my son Joffrey does come of age"

Ned didn't write Joffrey's name. Lyonel was supposed to sit on that Throne, it was his right by blood. Though it hurt his honorable heart he didn't write Joffrey as the King asked but put down 'until my true heir does come of age'.

"What else would you have me say?" Ned asked cautiously.

"Say... whatever you need to. Protect and defend, gods old and new, you have the words. Write. I'll sign it. You give it to the council when I'm dead" Robert grumbled through tired lips.

"Robert" Ned said in a voice thick with grief "You must not do this. Don't die on me. The realm needs you"

Robert took his hand "You are... such a bad liar, Ned Stark" he laughed through his pain "The realm... The realm knows... what a wretched king I've been. Bad as Aerys, the gods spare me"

"No, not so bad as Aerys, Your Grace. Not near so bad as Aerys"

"Are you done with the scribbling?"

"Yes, Your Grace" Ned offered Robert the paper. The king scrawled his signature blindly "The seal should be witnessed"

"Serve the bastard boar at my funeral feast. Eat the bastard. Don't care if you choke on him. Promise me, Ned"

"I promise" Ned smiled, Lyanna's words echoing in his head.

"The girl. Daenerys. Let her live. And help my son, Ned. Make him be better than me" He winced "Gods have mercy"

Ned smiled sadly "They will my friend, they will"

"Good" he said with a genuine smile "I will give Lyanna your love, Ned. Take care of my children for me"

Ned felt like he had punched him. Lyonel's face flashed in his mind, the only true son. Then he remembered the bastards: little Barra at her mother's breast, Mya in the Vale, Gendry at his forge, and all the others.

"I shall guard your children as if they were my own" he agreed.

"Good, now call Pycelle, give me something for the pain and let me die in peace"

Pycelle came in with Ser Barristan, Varys and Renly behind him.

Ned was grieving at his friend's fate. But he also knew he had to fulfill his last wishes. He headed straight to Varys to try and spare Daenerys if he could.