Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Any hopes I’d had of using my journey into work as time to try and absorb all the horrifying information I’d had to deal with in the past few hours went out of the window when I got on the tube train at Greenwich station.

My head was jammed under some guy’s armpit. He smiled apologetically all the way into central London, and attempted to re-position his briefcase so it didn’t leave a permanent indentation on my thigh. I didn’t smile back. I wondered whether he was maybe having an affair behind his wife’s back like Dad was with Mum.

I couldn’t stop the bitterness from surfacing. I’d cried a river of tears and now I was feeling pure anger. I couldn’t help it. All the lies, I felt like a total idiot!

In the rush hour carnage I was herded through the ticket barriers and spotted a 'Big Issue’ seller to my right.

I attempted to do my usual swervy tactic to avoid having to admit to him that I was too tight to pay £1.50 for a magazine that helps homeless people but I couldn’t because the entrance was too jam packed with people, so I ended up having to pass right by him.

As I did so, someone pushed passed me and I was forced to grab hold of the woman next to me to steady myself. I was emotionally and physically battered and suddenly, I felt the red mist of anger descend.

“'Big Issue' Madam?”

“YES! IT IS ACTUALLY!”

The guy looked startled and held his hands up in a position of surrender. He muttered something as I passed him, I think it might have been “Have a nice day.” Total eejit!

I pushed through the crowd, ran up the steps and out into the fresh air.

I didn’t stop running until I got round the corner into Trafalgar Square and then I crumpled onto one of the stone walls by the fountains, put my head in my hands and sobbed.

Amber, stop it. Get a grip and calm down. I took some deep breaths.

In less than 5 minutes I was going to have to walk into the office of my new job and meet a whole new group of people that I was going to have to be ‘funny’ and ‘quirky’ with and I wasn’t altogether sure I could do it because my heart had been ripped out twice in the last twenty-four hours. Oh God!

The clock on one of the buildings down Whitehall chimed nine and I wiped my eyes and wearily checked my face in my pocket mirror. At least it was hay fever season, which gave me an excuse for the blotches.

“You can do this Amber, come on.”

I got up, took a deep breath, put my shoulders back, head up and marched off like a girl on a mission.

I walked up Charing Cross Road, mentally dusting myself down.

“You can do this.”

When I got to Leicester Square, I felt a surge of adrenaline as I looked up at the huge building housing the offices of ‘Wow’ magazine. It’s famous bright blue sign was displayed proudly on the dark, Victorian brickwork.

“Feck! Here I go.”

As I walked into the reception area, I could see the main press office through the glass. I’d peeked in there once before when I’d come for the interview but now I was looking at it from a whole new perspective. I was now officially a part of the formidable ‘Wow’ empire and it was awesome.

A tall, slim girl, about my age, walked out of the main office towards me. She had long, straight, black hair, so shiny it ran the risk of temporarily blinding passers-by, should the light catch it at the right angle. She was attractive, in a Nicole Scherzinger kind of way, so…yes, quite attractive!