Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

"St Thomas' Hospital please, quick as you can."

The taxi sped away from the terminal building at Heathrow and towards Central London.

My heart was beating ten to the dozen. Oh God! If I lost Mum... Stop it Amber! Don't even think that.

My phone beeped with a text message. It was Harry.

"Don't worry, everything will be ok. I'll be with you as soon as we land tomorrow. Text me when you hear anything. Stay strong. Harry-Bo."

I smiled. He always managed to me feel better. I sat back in the taxi just wishing he could have been with me now. This was horrible.

As I stepped out of the Hospital lift and into the ward, I froze in horror, taking in the full extent of my Mum's injuries.

I hardly recognised her. Both of her legs and one of her arms were encased in thick plaster. Her neck was being supported by a heavy metal brace.

Walking over to the bed slowly, I put my hands up to my mouth and let out a sob as I saw the tubes sticking out of her nose. Her eyes were all black and swollen, they were completely closed up.

I sat on the chair next to the bed and gently held one of her hands.

"Mum?"

Nothing.

"Mum? It's me. Amber."

Nothing.

I leant forward onto the bed and put my cheek against her lifeless hand, tears streaming from my eyes. "Oh God! Mum, please be ok. Please..."

"mmumber?..."

As I looked up, she opened the swollen lids of her eyes and looked at me through the small slits. Thank God!

"Oh Mum...it's ok. I'm here now. I love you. You're going to be ok. What happened to you?"

She shook her head slightly and made a small sound like she was clearing her throat.

"Can you talk Mum?"

"Well," she croaked. "I was...I was..."

She took a breath.

"I was in the Newsagents. You know, the one with that's run by the odd lady... who sees dead people... and does the psychic readings...you know...the one that told Maureen down the road that she'd receive bad news by post... and then... the next day she got run over by that mail van?"

She cleared her throat again and breathed in heavily, causing the tubes to make a strange suction noise.

"Well...I bought a scratch card... and I rubbed the numbers off in the shop... but I must have been too busy talking...and mustn't have looked at the card properly. Anyway.....as I left the shop and crossed the road, I looked at the scratch card again and I suddenly noticed.... what I thought was a lemon when I first looked, was actually a cherry.... Which meant that I'd matched three symbols and had won ten pounds...so... in my excitement I went to run back across the road to collect my winnings...and that was the last thing I remember."

I tried my very best to supress the smile that was forming on my lips. Oh yes, she could still talk!

"You're going to be just fine Mum."

I squeezed her hand gently and let out a sigh of relief.

"The funny thing is," she croaked. "As I was leaving...the last thing she said to me was 'Take care'. Take care...Don't you think that's strange? It's like she knew what was going to happen."