4 - New Eden

I sat on a rock, the two eyeholes in my mask allowing me to observe the goings on within the gates of New Eden. Children playfully scampered barefoot across the grass, their laughter emanating into the breeze. Mothers hung washing up onto strings attached to the roofs of their homes. Hunters skinned deer and conversed quietly. I was never a part of those conversations. It'd been a long time since I'd spoken to anybody. I couldn't remember what my own voice sounded like. Not that it mattered, my purpose was not to speak but to judge and be judged.

'Shadow, c'mere now.' Ethan Seed's voice summoned me and I obeyed, rising to my feet and moving up to the pagan looking church. Joseph's son stood proudly atop the steps, staring out over what he believed was his own. It was not his. It belonged to the Father. 'The hunters aren't bringing back enough food. Get out there and find more.' He shoved me towards the gate and I obliged. Removing my bow from my back, I made my way out of the compound and into the outside world.

The water that encircled our safe haven shone a lagoon blue in the daylight. It was a colour that I particularly enjoyed to look at. Pausing at the bank, I took a brief moment to observe the calm currents ebbing and flowing.

Sloth.

Pain surged through my head and I turned my attention back to the forest. It was not the time to be distracted from what I was sent here to do. Clambering like a rainforest primate up a tree, I perched quietly and waited for my victim to show up. Sure enough, two dappled moose came to graze beneath where I was waiting. Lining up my shot, I hit both of them within seconds of one another. The arrowheads splintered their skulls and dug deep into their brains, life flooding from their eyes as they collapsed to the ground motionless. I was still a good huntress.

Pride.

Yet again, pain clustered behind my eyes and I had to shake it off. Climbing down the tree, I sat beside the moose and took a sharp knife out from beneath my sleeve. Taking my time, I eased the pelts from the flesh. The tendons attaching fur to muscle peeled away as the knife edge sliced through them. My gloved hands grazed the thick brown coats, twisting the fibres between my forefinger and thumb. They'd make for comfortable new clothing

Greed.

I didn't need them. The dull ache in my head began to spread. I was not purged of my sins despite Joseph telling me all was forgiven. Trying to focus, I sliced and diced at the best cuts of meat. Blood soaked through my gloves as I stacked fillets atop one another. My stomach rumbled loudly. I hadn't eaten good meat for days.

Gluttony.

Pain radiated down my arms and I continued to work. It wasn't for me, it was the people of New Eden. Cutting the fur up into parcel covering, I used reeds to wrap the slices of fresh meat up and carried them back to the village. Handing out each parcel to the families, I returned to my rock and watched them chatter amongst themselves. They were so happy, so complete. Sharing in all I had done for them, why would nobody share with me?

Envy.

Grumbling at Joseph's voice in my head, I got up and stalked off to my small house. Storming through the doorway, my foot lashed out and kicked over a small bundle of wooden sticks.

Wrath.

Why wouldn't he get out my brain? Through years of conditioning in his bunker, Joseph had managed to subconsciously make my body feel pain whenever I sinned. My life was a repetitive cycle of pure agony. Slumping down onto my hard, wooden bed I curled my legs up and cradled them tight. I had to remember who I was doing this for. A slight wind chill coursed through the room and I longed for those strong, tattooed arms to envelop me close.

Lust.

Letting out a sharp grunt, it felt as if my entire body was bruising all over. Stinging, tingling pains pricked at every inch of my skin. By tomorrow they'd be gone and I'd be a blank slate ready to be defiled again. Hunched over, I tried to make myself as small as possible. There was no escape for me.