16 - I've Got Your Back

I'd spent my afternoon assisting Nick in the garage but couldn't help feeling like I should try to build a bridge with Lara. Ever since Rush's death she'd been nothing but hostile towards me. Walking into the main house, I leant against one of the support beams and watched Kim placing markers onto the map. She worked non-stop, locating and marking areas of interest for scouts to explore.

'Hard at work Rye?' My bicep rested against the sanded wood, pressing hard into the rigid structure.

'Always.' She responded cooly, eyes glued to the map spread out beneath her.

'Where's Lara?' I asked, reaching up and flicking one of the tacky fairy lights that hung from the rafters.

'She's gone with Irwin to the prison.' Kim wiggled her fingers deftly in the air as she plucked up a pin with a green plastic top. Her unmoving gaze meant that she missed the mortified expression that adorned my face.

'You're letting her do what?!' Pushing off of the beam, I took a step closer to her.

'What else am I meant to do? Irwin's our only chance at getting to the twins.' Her hair fell over her eyes as she stared down at the map spread across the table.

'The prison though? Really Kim? Lara could die in there if they realise she's alive!' Thumping my fist down under her eye line in annoyance, she brushed it away haphazardly. Plucking a small pin between her forefinger and thumb, she embedded it deep into the paper.

'For fuck sake John, it's Lara. She can handle herself. All she has to do is kill one of the guards to open a spot in the derby. When she wins that-'

'If she wins.' Retreating my arms back to my chest, I folded them tightly and raised an eyebrow at her.

'Fine, if she wins, then she'll be invited to the chapter dinner. It's the perfect chance for her to get those twins for good.' Kim puffed at the strands of hair that dangled in the way of her view. 'It'll be fine John.' Her reassurance didn't settle me. Grumbling, I strode past her and into the courtyard aiming straight for the explosives lab. Shoving the door open, eighties disco music filled my ears and I grimaced. The hulking pyromaniac stood with his back to me. His body wiggled around manically to each beat of the song.

'Boshaw!' I yelled over the music. He span around and boogied over to me.

'Johnny boy! How ya doin' man? High five!' Raising a palm to me, he smiled under his unkempt beard. Rolling my eyes, I connected my hand to his weakly.

'I need to borrow your gun.'

'Hmmm I dunno amigo, she's pretty special.' Sharky threaded his fingers into the fluffy hair that hung from his chin. 'Oh I know! I'll let ya use her if you'll gimme one of those sick tattoos!' He pointed at the faded black marks plastered across my knuckles.

'Yeah sure whatever, just give me the gun.'

'Oh yeah man! It's gonna look so fucking cool!' Punching the air in mock victory, Sharky danced over to a cupboard and pulled out his old shotgun. 'Here ya go, take good care of her.' Handing it to me, I nodded at him before setting it on my back and traipsing back outside. Making my way to the gate, I paused at the feeling of eyes boring into my back. One more pair of hands couldn't hurt.

'C'mon then Judge.' I beckoned to them from over my shoulder as they emerged from the shadows. 'Let's go find the Captain.'

***

Reaching the derby track, we found a viewing spot that was out of the way from prying eyes. A frown adorned my face at the sight of my 'YES' sign patched back together and acting as a barrier. The line up of vehicles at the starting line seemed menacing, particularly since one of them was a tractor. The harsh reverb of their rumbling engines filled the stadium, exhaust pipes billowing smoke up into the air. The Judge gave a slight cough, enclosing a fist to where their mouth would be hidden under their mask.