5 - Search and Rescue

'We're doing what now?' I stammered, trudging along after Lara through copious amounts of woodland.

'Saving Nick Rye.' She stated plainly, lifting her gun and shooting a skunk nonchalantly.

'No, I meant we're doing what now? Why am I here? I don't do the whole fighting thing.' Turning the red machine gun in my hands, I couldn't remember the last time I'd held a gun. Oh wait, yes I could. Joseph's compound on the day of the Collapse.

'Well first of all I can't bring Carmina. If it gets bad then it's personal for her. And second of all, I'm doing you a favour. Imagine being the guy who reunited the Rye's. If you want them to truly trust you, this is the best way.'

'Nobody will ever trust me.' I responded. 'And I intend to keep it that way.'

'Oh you're such a brooding old man.' She teased, still leading the way. I smirked a little. She reminded me so much of Harlow. 'Get down.' Her demeanour changed instantly and I crouched. The noise of metal clanging echoed close-by. 'There's three of 'em, all armed.' She whispered, the two of us peering over a log.

'Let's go mister mechanic, when is that ugly plane of ours gonna have wings? Mickey and Lou are getting impatient!' Cackling, one of the highwaymen socked Nick straight in the gut and he keeled over.

'I'm working as fast as I can.' He coughed, taking up his hammer and continuing to bash strips of metal to straighten them out.

'Ready to flush them out?' Lara asked me and I gave her a tight nod. I had no idea how useful I'd be but all I could do was try. She leapt from her hiding place, storming straight into the fray. Jogging after her, I took aim and blasted one of the highwaymen with bullets. He crashed to the floor and my gaze fell onto Nick who was crouched covering his head. When he saw I was holding the gun he let out a copious sigh.

'You're joking right? What kind of cruel world do we live in where John fucking Seed saves my life?' He grunted, standing up as Lara took down the last guard. She stabbed a knife straight into his eye, shattering the glass of his visor.

'Jesus.' I recoiled, watching the blood ooze out of the cracks.

'Oh like you've not done worse.' Nick retorted, folding his arms tightly.

'Hey, I didn't want to come and save you.' I scowled at him, folding my arms even tighter across my own chest.

'Alright ladies calm down. Let's all play nice and get Nick back home.' Lara diffused the situation with a roll of her eyes. 'Where's the plane?' She asked and the mechanic started to walk, still a little winded from the blow to his abdomen. I trailed behind them, keeping watch for any approaching highwaymen. Luckily we made it to the hangar without disruption.

'I've been keeping it here but uh, there's a slight issue.' As he pushed open the door Lara and I stared dumbfounded at the yellow mess bobbing atop the water.

'It doesn't have any wings.' Lara's brow creased as she tried to think about what we were going to do.

'She! She doesn't have any wings.' Nick corrected the Captain, walking inside and patting the plane proudly.

'Don't ever call a plane 'it' Lara. It's practically blasphemy.' I pushed past her and joined Nick to stare at the old vehicle.

'Oh so now you're best friends?' She threw her hands into the air as we both shrugged.

'We just both appreciate the handiwork of a good plane.' Nick said simply.

'You know, I always liked the way you mounted the guns-'