8 - Sibling Rivalry

That evening, Lara returned having successfully setting the fire alight. Impressed, Ethan lead us to a small dock that would grant her passage to the North. She walked ahead beside him as he instructed her of what to do. Shades of red and purple illuminated the night sky, my blue eyes piercing through the darkness to take them in. The crunch of footsteps suddenly beside me on the dirt path made me jump. Turning to look, the white masked figure was walking in step with me. They wore some sort of animal fur over their shoulder and their clothes completely hid their figure. I didn't know who or what they were, only that they could sneak around unseen and unheard. The mask was an interesting feature. It appeared to be made of wood, painted a shocking white with blacked out lenses fitted into the eyeholes. Whoever this person was, it was clear Joseph thought they were important. I hadn't seen anyone else in the village wearing a mask after all.

'So what are you? My brother's body guard or something?' I asked them but they didn't answer. Yet they somehow could read my every movement, complimenting them with their own. We reached the dock, Lara boarding the boat. 'You be careful. Don't underestimate the bliss.' I pointed at her seriously but she shrugged it off.

'I'll be fine old man, see ya soon.' And just like that she took off into the night. Watching the boat go, I sat down on the wooden floor. Ethan looked at me in confusion.

'I'm going back to the village, I assume you're staying?'

'I'll wait until she comes back.' I stated, staring out across the water.

'Suit yourself. Come along shadow.' Ethan snapped his fingers, expecting the mysterious person to follow him dutifully. The white mask looked between the two of us indecisively, wringing their hands nervously. 'Oh you're doing this again? For the love of... Fine, stay here then.' Ethan threw his hands up in the air in frustration before melting away into the darkness of the forest. Despite staring out across the water, I could see the masked figure standing a few metres away from me in my peripheral vision. They seemed to be peering at me.

'I don't bite.' My grunt made them jump a little. What a weirdo. Trying to ignore them, I patiently waited for Lara to return. Whistling to pass the time, my tune slowed to a stop as I tilted my head and saw gloved fingers holding one of the few strands of grey hair that sat atop my head. 'Do you mind?' Slapping their hand away, I lifted my sunglasses and slicked my hair back into place. They stumbled backwards and I rubbed a palm over my face in annoyance. 'Just sit down.' At my instruction they immediately dropped to the floor like a well behaved dog. How obedient. I could do with one of these myself. Narrowing my eyes at the masked figure, I rummaged in my pocket and produced the photo of Harlow. 'Your master is Joseph right?' Nodding at me, they shuffled towards me on their bum ever so slightly. Flashing the photo towards them, hope burned in the back of my eyes. 'Have you seen this woman?' I couldn't see where they were looking but they seemed almost surprised by the image. The blacked out lenses appeared to stare pointedly at the photo and then up at my face. A long, muffled sigh emanated from behind the mask followed by a shaken head. They seemed almost upset that they couldn't help me. 'It's fine. No one's seen her for a very long time.' Disappointment laced my words as I shoved the photo back into my pocket. Unable to think of anything else to say, we remained in silence. My eyes began to droop and I surrendered myself to sleep. It wasn't like I had anything else to do.

Yawning, I must've been asleep for a good few hours as the sky was now a bright morning blue. I blinked my eyes open to be met with a white mask shoved right in my face.

'Agh fuck!' Startled, my head snapped back into wooden wall. My yell sent the figure into disarray, moving from being crouched over me to scrambling back so they were at least a metre away. 'What the hell is wrong with you?!' I growled, rubbing at the back of my head. My attention was soon diverted however as the silhouette of a boat began to form behind a cloud of mist. Rising, I made out Lara's form driving it and a second tall, skinny figure beside her. My brother.

'And so the lion returns.' Joseph's haggard face came into view, beard long and unkempt. His hairs had bleached into a light grey, no longer the luscious brunette they once were. Immediately I was drawn to the scar on his shoulder from where I'd shot him to protect Harlow. 'In search of your lost lamb I suppose?' He asked as the boat docked. Stepping off of it barefoot, he padded over to me and took my face in his hands. Pressing our foreheads together, he gave a blissful smile. 'It is so good to see you brother.' Leaning into his authoritative touch, I had to remind myself he no longer had any hold over me.

'I wish I could say the same.' Tugging my face away, a shadow of annoyance etched across his features.

'Come, we will discuss more back at New Eden.' It was only then that I noticed the masked figure standing desperately close to me. Joseph furrowed a brow at them and they immediately dropped their head as though to apologise. 'I see you've met my Judge, though they'd do well to remember their place.' Something lay beneath his scolding tone but I couldn't put my finger on it. Lara hopped off the boat, staring at her hands in disbelief.

'You okay?' I asked her as we started to walk back to the village.

'I'll tell you later.' She breathed, her face tense with thought.

At the sight of the Father, the people of New Eden burst into cheers of excitement. Grabbing Lara by the hand, Joseph professed she was the shepherd of the village much to Ethan's disgust. It seemed that despite his age, my brother hadn't changed in the slightest. Leaning against the wall of the church, once Joseph had finished his speech he gestured for me to enter. He wasn't far behind, letting the leather flaps that acted as a doorway swing close behind him.

'You've aged brother but still you somehow look the same.' Joseph gave me a sickeningly kind smile.

'Jacob would hate this.' Fingers gliding over the rustic decorations, I thought of my eldest brother for a second.

'At least Jacob knew where his loyalties lay.' The loose jab from my sibling made me snatch my hand back into a fist.

'Cut the crap. Do you know where she is or not?' I pressed him, desperate to leave.

'The lamb? The lamb is no more.' He stated simply.

'What do you mean? Stop talking in riddles and just tell me.' Folding my arms across my chest, Joseph walked straight up to me so that we were face to face. His right index finger pressed to the spot on my chest where SLOTH was still imprinted, albeit less raw now.

'You always were too slothful to work anything out for yourself. The lamb fled from you, used you, tore our family apart. And now you, the lion, are all alone. And the lamb is dead. Murdered. Gone forever.' That powerful glint that I hadn't seen for a very long time shone in Joseph's eye.

'You're lying.' My response was unsure and he immediately picked up on it.

'Am I?' He stated simply, moving away and leaving me alone in the church. He had to be lying. He had to know something. Didn't he?