Chapter Three - The Recruit

He faked me out and jabbed me in the side, making me instantly losing my breath as he threw me down to the floor.

"And just like you were a few months ago, you're worthless. You haven't changed a bit,"

"But you have," I snapped, my voice cracking a little, much to my dismay.

"For the better," he pushed down harder on my body, making me wince in pain. "I'm stronger than I would've ever been with the likes of you--"

"TayIor?" a voice sprung me from my nightmare.

I woke up with a scream, expelling my power from me and I heard a large bang followed by a groan of pain. I opened my eyes to find Jared sprawled out in front of our bookcase that had littered tons and tons of books on the ground around him.

And the most important feature of him was that he was giving me the most incredulous look.

"Note to self..." he started. "Don't wake up Taylor."

I didn't apologize, but instead just stretched out my limbs to feel more comfortable after spending a night on a couch. My joints popped in anger as Jared got up, scratching the back of his head.

"What's going on here?"

I looked up to see Mackenzie standing in her doorway. Her sharp yellow eyes stared at Jared with a confused look before a wide smile spread across her face. She came running over, throwing her hand at his for a shake. "Hi! I'm Mackenzie! It's so nice to meet you!"

It was a bit confusing as to why she was so excited at first but then I realized that her being locked up in this place was probably taking wear on her. She barely got any outside contact with anyone besides our group so any new face, even a complete stranger, was most likely appreciated.

Jared's eyes widened when he shook her hand back and realized who she was. "Mackenzie...? You're the Lightning girl!"

She nodded excitedly. "Yep! That's me! I wish I knew who you were but I really don't--"

"Kenzie," I cut in, not wanting the two to become best friends in a matter of seconds. "This is Jared. He might be able to help us out."

She looked confused for a moment before realization crossed over her features. "Oh! About the C--"

I paused time before she could continue to out our mission. I focused on Mackenzie, bringing her into this frozen world. "--ole thing?"

"Don't say that again," I warned. "He doesn't know anything about what's going on here and he can't know."

She looked around confused for a moment before she realized what was happening. She gave me a sheepish look and gave me a signal that represented her locking her lips. "Oops. Got it."

I continued time and when Mackenzie didn't speak anything else, Jared look confused. Before he could ask any questions, I jumped in. "So, should I call a house meeting?"

Thirty minutes later, all of us were seated around the kitchen table, Jared at the head of it while everyone looked at him. I half-expected the guy to be nervous under the gaze of so many people, let alone those in the Big Six, but he looked as casual as could be. If anyone was looking in, they'd probably think he was the one in charge of this whole thing.

"So..." Sophia started. "What do you know about us, Mr. Ross?"

He just shrugged. "I know you all..." He pointed at five of us. "Are part of the Big Six. Last I heard was that you guys were in DC training to attack that Catcher lady. I have no idea why you're here in New York City hanging out in bars and flirting with guys like me," he gave me a pointed look.