Chapter 17

{ Edited - 30th Sep, 2021 }
{ Edited - 9th May, 2024 }

Enoch approached Hugh with his arms folded across his chest. "Sorry about all the times I made fun of your peculiarity," said Enoch. "I suppose it's not so useless."

"Additionally," said Millard, "I'd like to compliment Hugh on his impeccable timing. Really, if you'd arrived just a few seconds later . . ."

Hugh shared with us how he managed to escape being caught at the depot. He cleverly slipped down between the train and the platform, just as I had suspected. To keep an eye on us, he had sent one of his bees to follow us discreetly from a safe distance.

"Then it was just a matter of finding Kira and Callum killing the two wights, and everything was under control, and then with the three of us, we found the perfect time to strike," he said proudly as if victory had been assured from the moment he decided to save them.

"And if you hadn't accidentally stumbled across a field packed with bees?" Enoch said.

Hugh dug something from his pocket and held it up: a chicken egg. "Plan B," he said.

Bekhir approached Hugh, Bryce, and myself, and shook our hands in greeting. "You three," he said, "We owe you our lives."

"What about your peculiar boy?" Millard asked Bekhir.

"He managed to escape with two of my men, thank God. We lost three fine animals today, but no people." Bekhir bowed to me, Hugh and Bryce, "You must allow us to repay you!"

I blushed. "There's no need, I assure you—"

"And no time, either," said Emma, "We have a train to catch!"

Those of us who hadn't yet realized Miss Peregrine was gone went pale. "We'll take their jeep," said Millard. "If we're lucky—and if that wight was correct—we might just be able to catch the train during its stopover in Porthmadog."

"I know a shortcut," Bryce said, and he sketched a basic map on the ground using his shoe. We expressed our gratitude to the Gypsies. I apologized to Bekhir for the inconvenience we had caused them, and in response, he burst into a hearty laughter and gestured for us to continue along the trail.

"We'll meet again, syndrigasti," he said. "I'm certain of it!"

* * *

We crammed into the wights' jeep, 11 children squeezed tightly into a car meant for three. Bryce, being the designated driver, assumed control of the vehicle. In a matter of minutes, we were speeding along, the accelerator pressed down firmly, racing as fast as the overloaded jeep could manage while everyone clung on for dear life.

We arrived in Porthmadog twenty minutes later, the train's whistle blowing as we raced down the main street towards the station. We screeched to a stop by the depot and quickly got out. Bryce didn't bother getting out of the car, which left me puzzled.

"Are you coming or what?" I asked.

Jake appeared at my door and softly tugged on my arm, catching my attention. "We got to go," said Jake.

I looked at Bryce again. "Callum?" I said, hoping I'd get an answer from him.

"I have to stay behind, I'll find you again, I promise!" said Bryce.

Right before I could speak, I was suddenly whisked away from my brother by Jake, who guided me as we sprinted through the station like cheetahs chasing a gazelle. We managed to jump onto the final car of the train just as it started moving. Catching our breath, we stood hunched over in the aisle while onlookers tried not to stare. We must have looked quite a mess, all sweaty, dirty, and dishevelled.

"We made it, I can't believe we made it." Emma gasped.

The conductor appeared. "You're back," he said with a beleaguered sigh. "I trust you still have your tickets?" Horace fished them from his pocket in a wad. "This way to your cabin," said the conductor.

"Our trunk!" Bronwyn said, clutching at the conductor's elbow. "Is it still there?"

The conductor pried his arm away. "I tried taking it to lost and found. Couldn't move the blessed thing an inch."

We dashed from one car to another until we finally made it to the first-class cabin. There, we spotted Bronwyn's trunk exactly where she had left it. With excitement, she hurried over and unlocked the latches before lifting the lid. Inside, there was only one thing - a massive book titled The Tales Of The Peculiar. "My bird! Where's my bird?!" Bronwyn cried.