Chapter Eight - Phoenix

"Wow that was a chase, I never thought I'd get the chance to chase after people again," Colts spoke, his voice full of glee. His eyes drifted towards me and a smile lit up his face, he removed his glasses to reveal his emerald green eyes. "I remember you from the convenient store, who knew that you were a Stark, I mean you do have your father eyes, but you definitely look more like your mother," he said as he looked at my sister.

"DON'T YOU DARE TALK ABOUT MY MOTHER!" I shouted. "You shot her and left her to burn," I said with anger in my voice that I didn't try to hide. Colts' face changed to putty for a split second and changed to an iron mask.

"Samantha died this morning from a fire that started from the oven, there weren't any signs of shots fired, but grief can change your perception of things." He said it with sadness as if he meant it.

"Another fire, the news is going to enjoy this. 'you know how much the press loves a fire.'" I said and the irritation on his face grew, then it clicked to in him, he realized when he had said that. Horror filled his face ever so briefly just to fade away into a smile.

"I'm here," He said ignoring my comment "because we are going to take you to a place where you can be safe until you are old enough to live on your own."

"Is that why there are fifteen guns pointed at three unarmed teens, one of which is unconscious," Stephy said, I could feel the anger in her voice and so could the soldiers as they moved their fingers over the triggers of their guns, even Colts' face twisted with anger, but then he caught himself and looked dead at my sister.

"So, you take from your father then miss Stark." He said to my sister with a menacing smile, I turned to my sister whose face had become pale. I could feel the anger boiling faster and faster inside me.

"We aren't coming with you so take your goons and leave," I said to him my voice didn't waver for a second, but he didn't seem intimidated.

"You have guts kid, I could tell at the store, but this isn't a negotiation." He said as he and his men moved forwards towards us. Stephy and I started to move back, but we couldn't go up the ramp or they were going to shot us while we ran, we backed into a wall with guns trained to us.

The anger in me was yelling to fight but the fear was stronger, the fear of dying, ending up like my parents, that fear was overwhelming and leaving backed against a wall with my sister and her best friend my arms. Colts was standing close enough that I could smell the pine cologne on him, just as he tried to grab me he stopped. He started looking down at his legs and beating them as scorpions started crawling up his legs and over his body. He started frantically beating his body screaming for "Get them off me!" and soon enough the rest his men joined him. They all dropped their guns screaming, some rolled on the floor while others ran away, two ended up running into their truck. I didn't know where they had come from, but they completely avoided us and before I could have time to process what was happening before my sister grabbed me and started running up the ramp that was now clear. It was hard running with someone in your arms, especially if it's for your life. When we got to the top of the ramp, we ran towards the forest, the screams from the men stopped and I heard Colts voice bellowed an order to his men. I knew we wouldn't get far before they got up the ramp and caught us or worse, kill us. When we got into the lush forest, we didn't stop running until we got to a large tree, we pressed our backs against the bark and I placed Megan's body against the tree. I could feel sweat against arms as I put her down, she was still in her sapphire dress, dirt was caught in the frills of the dress and the curls in her hair had begun to knot and cluster with dirt. As the three of us sat against the tree I heard a crunch of a branch coming towards us, my sister grabbed my hand and held it tight as we began to hear footsteps slowly coming closer. I felt the tension build up as it came closer and closer, I slowly stood up while Stephy pulled me down, but I protested and let go of her hand. I prepared to do something stupid as the steps grew louder, I could almost hear their breathing then when I saw a dark figure come past the side of the tree I grabbed it and threw against the tree. I raised my fist to punch in the face of the Transgress soldier, but I stopped when I realized that who I had pinned against the tree wasn't one of the soldiers.