Saying Goodbye

Newt woke up to the moment his alarm went off. He quickly reached out, fumbling around until he found the clock and silenced it. Then he rolled over and found his nose buried in Tina's hair. He breathed in, the comforting smell filling his senses. Then he let out a sigh and pressed a kiss to the back of her head. He rolled over again and climbing out of the bed, his bare feet hitting the wooden floor.

He took his wand from his bedside table, casting Lumos before setting it back down. Moving over to his dresser, he pulled out his clothes and quickly changed into them. He tugged on his boots, tucking the edge of his trousers into them before buckling them. Then he flipped his shirt collar up and slipped his bowtie around his neck.

He was distracted from tying it by the sound of rustling sheets behind him. He turned to find Tina watching him sleepily.

"You're leaving."

He offered her an apologetic smile. "Yes. My ship leaves in fifteen minutes."

Tina climbed out of the bed and moved around it to where he was standing. She took hold of the ends of his bowtie and carefully tied it, smoothing his collar down when she was done.

"You weren't going to leave without saying goodbye, were you?"

"No, of course not. I was going to wake you up once I had changed."

Tina laughed softly. "Uh-huh. Sure." She rolled up onto the balls of her feet, tiptoeing just enough to bring them to the same height as she slipped her arms around his neck. She pulled him closer for a kiss. He returned it and she let herself drop back down to her regular height.

Newt was the one to break the kiss, pulling away and pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"I need to go, Tina," he said, absentmindedly smoothing down the collar of her pyjama shirt and pushing away her shoulder-length curls. He reluctantly let go of her so he could put on his waistcoat. Tina had picked up his jacket, so he let her help him into it. She handed him his wand as they made their way towards the bedroom door where he picked up his case before stepping into the hall. 

She followed him out of the room and down the hall. Newt had just started down the stairs when he heard her clear her throat behind him. He turned to look at her curiously. "Tina?"

"Aren't you going to say goodbye?"

Newt's gaze slid from her face to the door across their own. "I'd rather not wake—"

"Please just do it. You know he hates it when you don't," Tina begged softly.

"I—" He broke off and let out a sigh. "Alright."

Newt made his way down the hall once more and carefully opened the door. The room was dark except for a soft glow coming from the sphere that was magically suspended in the corner by the door. 

He slowly approached the bed, gazing fondly at the sleeping figure there. All that could really be seen was the tousled mop of dark hair sticking up from under the covers. Reaching out, Newt gently rested a hand on his shoulder and shook him.

The boy shifted and mumbled something as he came awake. Newt carefully pulled the blanket down, revealing the boy's freckled face.

"Come on," he whispered. "Wake up. I've got to leave soon."

The boy's eyes fluttered open. "How soon?"

"I need to go now but I came to say goodbye." He leaned down and pressed a kiss to his forehead. "I'll see you in a month."

"More than."

"Well, yes. A little bit." He kissed him again. "Then I'll see you in a little over a month, Nick." He got to his feet and stepped away from the bed.