Government Involvement

Over the course of a year. Azula readies for graduation with her cousins Prima and Vera. Luna and Azulas relationship had really blossomed over the year. Luna's mother is more excepting than Azula's mother who pretends she doesnt notice. Azula doesn't stay at home. She usually stays with Luna and her family. But now Azula is closer with her siblings than before. Even though Amarilla, Verde and Verano already graduated, they remained at home while they went to college. Azula, Prima, Vera and Luna's brother are due for graduation in months, Luna and Rosado will not graduate until next year. Prima and Vera plan to stay home along with Verano. But Azula doesn't care where she goes as long as she is with Luna.

One evening, Prima, Vera, Luna and Azula were at the movies when Luna received a call on the cell phone. Her face turns white as she hangs up the phone. "Azula? You need to go home. The Police are at your house." A blanket of panic layers upon Azula, "Will you come with me?" Luna smiles, "Of course." The twins group hug with the girls before Azula and Luna sprint down the street hand in hand. They make it to the house and admire the many law enforcement cars parked in front of the house. Azula enters through the front door. "Mother?" Police swarm around the house while Her mother and two sisters huddle together on the couch. "Here's my delinquent daughter!" Her mother points at her and scorns. A tall man in a black suit with sunglasses turns around. "Are you Azula Morado?" Azula tucks Luna behind her, "I am she." The man stoically ushers her into the dining room. The girls follow him, and there on the dining room table is Azula's communication device from a year ago. "Is this yours?" Azula looks down at the device and then back up at the man. "Yes." "This device sent out a message saying I am here before it was destroyed by lightening. Who were you talking to?" Azulas eyes dart around looking for her sisters. Amarilla shook her head no. Luna steps forward. "It was school project to contact Aliens." She holds Azulas arm, "Azula built it from scratch." The man cocks his head to the side. "Is this true?" Azula stammers, yes. "I dont know about this being a school project. But I believe the Alien part. This is a very comprehensive device for an amateur. You broke some major laws." Amarilla jumped up, "Thats a lie, there is no law against building communication devices." Their mother shushes her and yanks her down into her seat. "I have a special offer for you." The man stern continues. "Your work was crude and clearly inexperienced. But you have great potential. You seem to do well in school, almost making valedictorian. And reverse engineering is a true gift. And since you have the highest IQ in the state, the government is offering you a full scholarship to MIT or Stamford provided a commitment to the government employment." Her mother stood up, "Absolutely not!" "Mother!!! Its a great thing for Azula!" Amarilla chimed in, Azula turned around to Luna. "What should I do?" Luna leans in and Whispers, "Say yes." "What about you?" "As soon as I graduate I will follow you. I cant bare to be apart for too long." "But you want to go to Nursing school?" "I can go anywhere. But there is only one of you. Besides, if you are working for the government, I can be a stay at home wife." Luna giggles, and kissed Azula on the nose. Azula spun around. "On one condition..." the tall mans eyes open wide. "I want off campus housing for me and my girlfriend." The man, face changed from skeptical to accepting. "Deal." He extends his hand out to confirm the deal. Azula shakes on it. "I'll send a courier over with the paperwork to sign the contract." The man sticks his hand in the air and whirls it around. "Move out!" all the police file out promptly.

It took a couple days for Azula to process what really happened. It was so surreal. Luna would not cease talking about it. She was so excited. Her girlfriend was recruited by the government before she even left high school. Azula was due to earn many awards for her achievements during her senior year. She probably would have made valedictorian had it not been for her side distractions. Her mother was, for once in Azula's entire life, extremely proud. She never mentioned her distain at the prospect of her daughter being a Lesbian, she was way too proud about her governmental scholarship to one of the top schools in the country with a guaranteed job as soon as she graduates if not before. Luna kept urging Azula to pick a school, so she can scout schools she wanted to attend nearby.