~ 𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 2 ~

despair
/dɪˈspɛː/
noun
1.the complete loss or absence of hope.

~~~~

Lila felt a small ounce of calmness fill her when the face of Alex came into her sight yet panic once again took over at the next few words that came out of his mouth.

"We need to get off of this boat before it sinks completely." He said when he grabbed Lila's hand and pulled her to the side of the boat facing the pier, they both climbed over the railings and balanced on the edge of them when the boat continued to sink, "on three you need to jump, one, two, three!" Lila let go of the railing and pushed herself off into the water.

Her arms flailed around her as an attempt to break her fall in the water yet it had no affect when the ice cold water took her breath away. She went to kick up to the surface as her lungs begged for air, but she paused. There was no noise, no screaming, no rushing, no bombs or gun shots- nothing.

She stayed there, enjoying the peace until her lungs burned, she kicked her legs until her head reached the surface and the noise of deep groan of the ship sinking filled her ears along with the screams of the men.

"Lila! Swim! Now." Alex's voice rang out, she tuned towards him whilst treading water, Lila saw him rushing away causing her eyebrows to furrow in confusion. She looked past him and saw two men waving their arms frantically looking at something behind her, she carefully turned to see what they was looking at and saw the ship approaching towards her- soon to crush her.

Her eyes widen and she started swimming towards the dock, her arms moving and legs kicking frantically whilst panic once again filled her from the new danger that appeared in her path. Lila continued swimming getting closer and closer to the dock and saw a man pull Alex out of the way of danger then reach out for her giving her a bit of hope.

She continued going as fast she can but the fabric of her dress pulls her back with the current of the sea however she kept kicking until her fingers grazed the hand held out in front of her until her hand finally clasped itself around his and he pulled Lila out of water onto a beam whilst falling back and her landing on her stomach. She turned over so she rests on her back and let out a breathy laugh.

"I'm alive! Alex! You're alive!" He let out a laugh as well until a thought filled her head causing her to shoot up to her feet.

"Elizabeth! Elizabeth! Are you there? Elizabeth?" Lila called out to the sea of where men's bodies float along with some nurses.

"Liz?" She let out one whisper, all hope leaving her body.

Alex and the boys who saved her look towards the body of Lila and feel sorrow for the pain the poor girl is feeling- since they already know it as a familiar feeling. The boy who saved her however also looked at her with a different emotion in his eyes- curiosity. Curiosity for the girl that stands on the beam. Curiosity for how she was the only nurse of many to survive.

Grief filled her body as she fell down into a sitting position until a voice distracted her causing her to look up to the top of the pier.

"Right highlanders, let's find you another ship. Especially you young lady." Lila sighed and stood up and watched as the person who saved her jumped into the water along with his friend to make him look as if they've come of the ship.

He had dark hair that is longer on the top and short at the sides which falls messily in front of his face and holds a slight wave to it. He has a pale skin complexion. His eyes are a deep shade of green and the uniform he wears indicates he's apart of the army

"I'm Lila." She holds her hand out for him to shake once he climbed back onto the beam.

"Tommy." he shook it then walked off causing Lila and Alex to follow desperate to get back onto a ship. Once they reach the top of the pier they are guided to a small ship which they say is going to be transporting them to a destroyer.

The four of them clamber on and men surround them- showing that they feel unsettled by their constant shuffling and movement around the boat causing them to bump into Lila and push her around. Tommy noticed this almost instantly saw the uncomfortable look that's rests upon her face so he reached out a hand and gripped on her arm and pulled her to the right of the boat so she stood in front of him.

Once by the right side Lila turned in confusion but was met to see Tommy standing behind her giving her a small smile and releasing her arm; Lila tried to give him a smile in return but the pain of loosing her best filled her chest preventing her from doing so, so she just turned back to face the front of the boat.

Tommy watched as her head turned back towards the front of the ship and stared at her with many emotions flashing in his eyes, feeling bad for the girl as the emotions that she feels are so strong that she can't even crack a smile. And Tommy knew right there and then- he wanted to get to know this girl and make her happy once again.

Lila felt a person approach to her left causing her to turn and see Alex.

"When we pull up to the boat I need you to climb up as quick as you can whilst us three hold up the men because they will be desperate to get onto that boat- especially with what had just happened to them." he ordered, Lila nodded her head along with Tommy and his friend showing they agreed to help.

She took a deep breath and prepared herself to climb up the net attached to the side of the ship that they were rapidly approaching. As they were a metre away she turned towards the net and held her hands out- preparing to catch it.

As Lila got close enough she started climbing and heard the struggles of the three boys accompanying her as they keep the men behind resulting in her to speed her climbing. Lila's arms and legs ached with each step she took but she kept on going until she finally reach the boat and pulled herself over the side; as soon as she reached the side Tommy, Alex and the guy who's name she has not learnt yet quickly climb onto the rope with the other highlanders following closely.

Lila's sight is pulled from the three men when a scream is emitted into the air by a soldier resulting in her to look over and see a poor mans legs trapped between the boat and ship causing his fellow soldiers to react almost instantly and pull him out. Her eyes filled with tears at the sight because there was nothing she could do to help until a hand on her shoulder pulled her out of her thoughts causing her to snap her head towards the hand and see Tommy standing there.

He smiled a small smile at her and slowly pulled her away- knowing she wanted to help them as that's what urge her nursing instincts would give her yet she's up here now and he's down there- she can't do anything for him right now, she can only get herself down to safety.

"C'mon- we're going down to the bottom deck." She timidly nods and followed him and saw a nurse handing out life jackets to the soldiers but Lila refused one because as soon as she goes down there she's planning on going to help anyone that's injured as she still has things in her pockets and somehow her bag is attached to her side still as she somehow forgot it was there in all of the commotion.

As soon as she reaches the bottom of the stairs her eyes meet the sight of many men cramped into the small space of the ship and nurses passing around toast with jam and tea; she looks towards Tommy and Alex and notice Tommy's friend is not with him.

"I'm going to go and help." She goes to walk off but pauses and turns back to Tommy, "where's your friend?"

"Looking for a quick way out."