~ 𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 6 ~

perplexity
/pəˈplɛksɪti/
noun
1. inability to deal with or understand something

~~~~

The boat tipped causing everyone to fall over, Lila's face scrunched up in pain but she regained her footing with everyone else. The Dutchman let out a shout.

"We float!"

"Start the bloody engine!"

The Dutchman climbed up the ladders and started the engine. More gun shots rang through the side of the ship causing everyone to duck to the best of their ability. Lilas side screamed in pain as the sea water now came up to her chest.

The gunshots continued to fire as the Germans were adamant to stop this ship from floating causing everyone to float around in a panic, Tommy searches through the people for Lila and found her struggling to hold herself up and rushed over to her and helped her stay up but pulled her down with him when more shots rang out.

They came back up and gasped for air searching around.

"Plug the holes!" The dutchman screamed from up top.

"With what?" Someone screamed back. Everyone ran towards the holes and attempted to block them with their hands but water still poured through.

"Other side!" More holes appeared causing men to spread out over both sides of the boat and make their best attempt to cover them. The ship continued to fill up; the water now up to their chins.

"Abandon ship!" The voice shouted, Tommy grabbed Lila and pulled her towards the ladder and helped her climb it, once at the top they jumped into the sea. He saw a boat and started pulling Lila towards it but paused when a high pitched screech was released from the sky above.

A bomb hit the side of the grey ship causing Tommy and Lila to duck their heads into the water but the noise was so loud that they covered their ears.

They came back to the surface of the water and took instant notice on the oil that now covered their skin and looked around once again. Tommy grabbed Lila and started helping her swim towards the grey ship in the water. But he paused when he saw that it was slowly sinking into the water.

~~~

Meanwhile all of this was happening to Lila and Tommy Alex had already gotten onto another civilian ship and followed the orders to get down to bottom deck until a voice called out.

"Careful! Careful! Careful down there." Alex looked towards what he was talking about and felt his heart drop.

There laid George mills, the brother of his best friend, Lila mills. He crouched down and felt for his pulse but he couldn't feel anything.

"He's dead mate..."

"So be bloody careful with him then." Came peters reply. "Wait... Alex? Where's Lila? Her mums worried sick?"

"I don't know."

Tears filled his eyes, he didn't even know if Lila was alive, he was so focused on getting himself out alive that he didn't look for Lila. He gently pushed George to the side and placed his hands on his chest. He closed his eyes and said a small prayer wishing that this poor boys sister is alive.

~~~

Tommy and Lila saw the men being pulled in by the pressure of the ship sinking and heard the shouts of the men when the German aircraft was noticed to be circling back around causing them to desperately kick away from the ship towards a nice looking boat.

Red blended in with the black oil that lays on the oceans surface from the wound that laid on Lila's side and her eyes were now struggling to stay open and her legs barely moved in the water causing Tommy to have to drag her dead weight through the water once more.