~ 𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 5 ~

dejection
/dɪˈdʒɛkʃ(ə)n/
noun
1. a sad and depressed state; low spirits

~~~~

Everyone sat down on the floor of the boat, too tired to do anything; other than Alex of course. He moved around where he could searching through bags and Lila could clearly see him getting agitated of waiting from her position by the ladder next to Tommy. He looked towards Gibson.

"Poke your head out, see if the waters come in." Gibson looked towards the hatch then back at Alex and shook his head, fear of what could happen passing through him.

"Talkative sod aren't ya?"

"Alex." Lila warned giving him a look that she gave him at home when he used to get annoyed, he saw the look and put his head down and continued searching through the random items scattered around the boat.

Tommy then slowly stood up causing Lila to give him a confused look but he just gave her a a small smile and approached the ladder which he then proceeded to climb, he held his head out of the hatch and then came back down.

"It's barely coming in."

Alex threw something on the floor causing Lila to jump and stare at him in horror.

"Fucks sake!"

"Calm down. What was out comes back in again." Alex twisted his body to look at him.

"Right, yeah, but how long" Alex replied, an emotion in his voice that Lila's never heard before, the look of horror still prominent on her face. Tommy sat back down next to Lila and saw the look on her face and gripped her hand with his.

"Alex..." she whispered.

"What?!" He shouted at her causing her to flinch and direct her eyes towards the floor, Tommy squeezed her hand in reassurance and a flash of guilt went through Alex's eyes but was immediately replaced by the desperation he's feeling.

~~~

Lila's eyes opened to footsteps echoing from the ceiling of the boat, she raised her head off of Tommy's shoulder and looked up, panic flowing through her veins, Tommy quickly stood up and pushed her behind him in a protective manner. Quiet whispers filled the boat as the men raised their guns to the hole in the roof.

One guy looked at Tommy and signalled for him to grab the man, but the frail hands of Lila gripping the back of his shirt told him that she needed him so he shook his head but then the guy pointed his gun at him so he slowly approached the hatch and felt Lila's hands leave his back.

As the footsteps neared Tommy reached up and pulled the man down and everyone's barrels immediately pointed towards the mans face.

"Are you German?!" One of the English men asked. Lila saw the poor man quivering and panting whilst shaking his head.

"Dutch, Dutch... Dutch" he said breathlessly. "I came to pick you up, to help you."

"Why'd you leave your boat?" Alex asked whilst leaning over his head.

"In case the Germans come, we...we went off the beach, we were with the soldiers, we wait for the tide"

"You came back, the tide must be in."

"Coming, coming, yes, but more hours until you float."

"Hours? Why'd you come back?"

"Not so heavy when I left." Just as the Dutchman said this a bullet pinged through the metal on the side of the boat causing everyone to duck whilst tommy turned and covered Lila with his body to protect her, her being on her back and tommy having his front against hers.