~ 𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 3 ~

despondency
/dɪˈspɒnd(ə)nsi/
noun
1. low spirits from loss of hope or courage; dejection

~~~~

A shiver Ran down Lila's spine from Tommy's words but she shook it off and turned away from them, picking up a plate of toast and walking around to hand it out and help any soldiers that need it.

Tommy watched as she turned away and walked off and turned towards Alex who's mouth is full with toast. Tommy's already noticed that Lila was close with Alex and wanted to know more.

"So how do you know Lila?"

"I grew up with her, she's my best friend and when she showed up that was the first time I've felt happiness since this all started but I don't want her to be here- I don't want her to get hurt more than she already is, this is no place for a person like her" Alex spoke through his mouthful. Tommy nodded and furrowed his eyebrows.

"So are you two... together?" He questioned.

"What? No! God no! She's like a sister to me." he explained and Tommy replied with a nod of his head. Both of them fell silent after that and Tommy looked around and his eyes catch a man closing a door in front of them and starts approaching towards the door- wanting a quick way out if things were to go sideways.

Lila approached a groaning soldier towards a door at the top of stairs and realise he's the man who trapped his legs. She looked at his legs and saw that his feet were purple showing that his bones have been crushed and the circulation is cut off.

"Sir? I'm sorry but there's nothing we can do to save your legs- they're going to have to be amputated but I can give you some morphine for the pain?" He grimly nodded and Lila immediately injected the morphine into his blood stream to help and put his legs into a splint.

"There you go sir. That should hold up until we get back home" She smiles at him kindly and turns away- her smile instantly dropping from the pain that fills her. She goes to tend to another man but stops what She's doing and decides to have a minute to herself.

A minute to herself to try and get her mind off of Elizabeth- how she was so stupid and didn't even think about her or trying to find her or save her. How she was so selfish because she only saved herself. Tears filled her eyes at the thoughts and she pulled her bag off of her shoulder and dropped it onto the ground next to her; the engine started running causing the men to let out loud cheers, happy to know that they can finally go home.

Lila finds a bench and sits on it leaving her bag where it was as she feels as if she doesn't have the energy to pick it up once more. She covers her mouth and let's out a gut wrenching sob; just wanting to see her best friend again. A strong feeling of despondency filled her; I didn't even get to say goodbye, I didn't even get to hug her.

Tommy and Alex heard a sob and looked over towards the noise only to see Lila Mills on a bench covering her mouth with tears streaming down her eyes- Tommy goes to walk towards her, the urge to comfort her filling him but a hand on his shoulder prevents him from advancing towards her and he turns to see Alex shaking his head.

"Let her grieve- she doesn't like crying in front of people and she needs to let it out. It will help her" Tommy looked at him and turned back to Lila and gave her a helpless look but let her be.

She's pulled from her thoughts when the ship jolts to the side and water pushes it's way inside, taking down the men in its path causing screams to erupt from the other soldiers. The lights abruptly cut off leaving everyone in the dark as water quickly filled the lower level. Lila rushed around in panic trying to find a way out but she's only pushed and shoved by other people trying to do the same thing as her.