Overdrive: 42

"So," the coach begins. "Who's going to tell me what just happened?"

The three of us stay silent. The only noise heard is the sound of Liam's heavy breathing. He and Oliver are sitting the exact same way. Slumped down in their chairs, their arms crossed, with scowls on their faces, staring blankly ahead. Besides their bodily features, the only main difference between them is the clothes their wearing. Liam is in his training gear, while Oliver is in his uniform.

"If one of you doesn't start talking, you're both benched for tonight's game," Coach warns.

Oliver scoffs. "As if you'd do that."

"Watch me, Ferrari. I'll kick you out in a heartbeat."

"And lose the championship? No way."

"Then speak up! I don't have all day."

Another silence fills the room, all of us refusing to speak. I keep my eyes own. They flicker over to Oliver. There's a bruise forming at the edge of his cheekbone. I'm desperate to touch him - to take his hand and comfort him. He wouldn't accept my concern, though. He'd miss my forehead and tell me not to worry.

"Miss Robins?"

"Hmm?" I glance up at Coach Gonzalez. He never speaks to me. I'm surprised he even knows who I am.

"Are you willing to share?" he asks.

"I, uh..." I hesitate, unsure of how to respond. Why aren't the boys talking? Am I meant to explain the situation? Will that get them into trouble? I look over at Oliver again, begging for help.

"You don't have to say anything," he reassures me. He places his hand on my knee, keeping it PG. Warmth spreads over my skin, instantly calming my nerves. Unfortunately, it doesn't last. I tense up as soon as I hear my brother's voice.

"Don't fucking touch her!" he sneers.

"Fuck off, bro!" Oliver defends. "You don't know shut about us!"

"Us?" he scoffs. "That's fucking pathetic!"

"Why? Because we're happy and your girlfriend won't even move in with you?"

Shit.

I scowl at him, scolding him for his words. He shouldn't have said that, and he knows it.

"What did you just say?" Liam leans forward in his seat, his anger resurfacing.

"You heard me."

"You better fucking hope I didn't."

"Calm down, boys," Coach warns. "Keep it civil, okay? Talk it out."

"He didn't mean it, Liam," I interfere. "He's just mad."

"Bullshit. He's a fucking dick."

"Stop saying that. It's not his fault."

"Oh, you need your girlfriend to fight your battles for you now, huh?" he mocks Ollie. "Looks like you really are a pussy."

"Shut up, man. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about," he responds.

"Then fucking tell me! What the fuck did I do that pissed you off so much, you fucked my sister?"

"Quit saying it like that! I fucking love her! We're not just banging!"

"So you admit it? You are banging?"

"That's not what I fucking meant!"

"Well, it sure as hell sounds like it!"