The Night

A/N: I'm not entirely sure where I was going with this. I just kinda had an idea and ran with it.

-Angie

"Angelica, we need to get back," the shorter girl begged, fear making her voice shrill. She tugged at her older sister's arm, desperately trying to drag her down the street. But the older sister's feet remained unmoved on the cobblestone path.

"C'mon, Peggy. Let's live a little." Eliza, her other sister, patted her on the head belittling. "We've spent all our nights trapped in that little box-"

"That box is our home," Peggy protested.

Eliza ignored her. "I want to see the night and run with the wild kids." Eliza spun around in the summer night air, her dress rippling in the wind.

"The wild kids get killed," Peggy insisted, trying to make them understand.

"Well, you can leave then if you're so scared." Angelica ripped her hand out of her grasp.

Peggy struggled for a comeback to that. "I-I.. I can't just leave you two here. Let's just go home, please."

"Peggy, darling, you worry too much. We'll be fine and aren't you the least bit curious of what the night is?" Angelica asked

"Daddy wanted us home by sundown," Peggy fretted, "Look at the sun." She pointed with a shaking hand at the warm colors blending into the hills.

Her sisters ignored her and continued walking down the street as it got progressively darker. Peggy stopped in her tracks. "I'm not going any further." Her voice was shaky with fear but definite in what it said.

Eliza stopped next, looking back at her sister. She was torn between adventure and safety, a home she's known all her life or an uncertain night, Angie or Peggy.

Angelica continued down the path. "Go home if you want. I never said you couldn't."

Eliza shot her younger sister a smile. "Just go home, Peggs. We'll see you tomorrow." Maybe, Eliza thought to herself but didn't dare add to Peggy's worries.

Peggy turned her face from them as tears spilled down her cheeks. "I love you guys." Before she could decide against it, she ran back down the path. Eliza watched her sister's fleeting figure for a moment. Maybe she's right, a voice in her head piped up. But she brushed it off and caught up with Angelica.

They walked on in silence for a while as the sun slowly set until Eliza piped up, "What do you think the night is?"

"Something to scare kids with. Something to keep teens off the streets at night." Angelica shrugged. "But it's not a monster."

Eliza laughed but part of her, a childish part, was scared that the night was a monster. The sun slipped behind the mountains and a strange wind blew, making both girls shiver. "Do you think we'll meet any..." she trailed off as she spotted some dark shadows ahead on the path. "W-who's that?" Eliza whispered to Angelica.

A smile slipped onto Angelica's face. "The wild kids." She grabbed her sister's arm. "Let's go say hi."

"I don't know about this, Angie. There's something weird about them..." But they were already in front of them.

"Well, helloooo ladies," One of them said with an obvious wink. He was tall and lanky. His skinny limbs showed he was no older than sixteen.

Angelica raised her hand to slap that smirk off his face but Eliza grabbed it before she could. "Good evening, gentlemen."

"What are you doing out so late?" a shorter one asks, before going into a coughing fit. The third one stood off to the side of the other two with his arms crossed.

"Um, well-" Eliza started to say.

"We're out here almost every night," Angelica supplied an answer. Eliza shot her a confused look. Why lie to these boys? Angelica waved her off.

"Want to join us then?" the tall one offered.

"Thomas, why are you harassing these girls?" an approaching voice asked.

The taller one's shoulders fall. "Alexander," he growled. "What are you doing on our turf?"

"Turf? Hm, that's a strange word to use. Especially, when all this turf is about to change." The figure comes into the light to reveal a young man. And that's when the ground starts to rumble and shake.