Prologue

Fawnbriar rests in her nest. The brown tabby she-cat is expecting kits, and they sure will be born any moment now.

"Please tell me who the father is," the other queen, Lilydawn, meows. "I won't tell anyone else, I promise."

Fawnbriar just responds with a shake of her head.

"I won't tell you his name, but he is a cat outside the Clans," Fawnbriar answers. "I didn't even want kits," She grumbles.

"How did you end up expecting them then? Please don't tell me he pressured you. If he did, I know my next battle target!" Lilydawn meows.

"I didn't really think things through at the time. Whenever I was around him, my mind went blank. I was always in a daze around him, and I don't know why," Fawnbriar answers. "So... before I knew it, I ended up agreeing to have kits with him... and here we are. Worse mistake of my life," she meows.

"You may change your mind about that after they're born!" Lilydawn meows. "Maybe you'll realize that kits aren't so bad. I'm excited about my own kits and I'll be glad to help you with yours if you can't handle it," she offers.

"Thank you, but I can handle them myself," Fawnbriar responds. "I have to be there for them at all times, even though I didn't want them. I mean, they already won't be with their father," she meows.

"I see what you mean," Lilydawn meows. "I would think the same if I were you."

"I just wish he never came around," Fawnbriar meows. "He's so handsome that it makes him dangerous."

"Well, you two will have beautiful kits then," Lilydawn meows. "Along with your beauty and his handsomeness, your kits will be the most good-looking cats by the lake!"

"You have a point," Fawnbriar responds with a purr. "I know I've said this so many times, but I just don't want them."

"Well, you're a mother now," Lilydawn meows. "You're just going to have to get used to it at some point. They're going to love you," she meows.

"I guess you're right," Fawnbriar replies. "I just feel like I'm going to be a terrible mother..." she meows, looking down at her swollen belly grumpily.