Chapter 29: Two Million Paces of Resistance

Kanna decided that she hated Goda after all. She had been sitting in the passenger seat in total silence, ignoring the giant, and the giant had the nerve to ignore her ignoring, so eventually she whipped around and crawled into the bed of the truck to be with the Bou twins.

Passing over the divide and into that alternate dimension wasn't much better, though. They seemed happy that she had joined them, but they had been chain smoking so much that the floor of the truck was littered with cigar butts and ash, and it took Kanna a few seconds to find a clean spot to sit down.

"...and it's so strange how the human mind works. Every time these crazy customers tell me a story, they get weirder and weirder," Noa was saying; Kanna had been too distracted to overhear the source of the conversation from the front seat, but she tried to pick up the thread where it was. "Like the last time I had to do a delivery by myself, remember how I took so long? It's because this lady had to tell me all about the tiny bit of Flower she had swallowed. She said she had seen a million snakes all over her house, and she was trying to tell me about each one."

"Oh yeah," Leina said. "I've heard that one, too. The Maharans always see snakes, because that's what we're taught at the temple, so it's no wonder that was locked in her subconscious. Makes me not want to touch the stuff, to be honest. I'd rather live in the real world than deal with creepy delusions and hallucinations."

Smoke wafted in Kanna's direction, so she ducked her head to avoid the haze. "How about lung cancer?" Kanna said crossly. "Is that a hallucination?"

Dirty air shot out of Leina's nostrils as she laughed and coughed. "What do you mean?" she asked.

Kanna didn't answer, though. She took a deep breath of what little clean air she could manage and she tried to adjust her mood, because she figured the twins didn't deserve her ire. She glanced at the two leather rucksacks that sat tucked in the corner of the truck bed, and she asked, "What kind of...product do you two deliver to people, anyway?"

"We told you: drugs!" Noa said, grinning with pride. "We deal illegal drugs. Our plan if we ever get caught is to each say that the other one did it, and then they won't be able to tell who is guilty, so they'll have to let us both go. Even if a witness saw me, I could just say it was my sister, and she could accuse me of the same."

"Oh." Kanna scratched the back of her head, unsure if this was a common occupation or if Noa was simply too shameless to be anything but casual about it. "Well, that's unfortunate that you have to go to such lengths just to do your job, I guess." She settled on this neutral response.

"Not really! You can make a lot more money selling stuff that's illegal. That's why we do it. With legal stuff, you have too much competition, so I hope they don't relax the law."

Kanna huffed in disbelief, but her eyes traced the sealed edges of the bags with curiosity. "What kind of drugs are they, anyway?" She couldn't imagine that it was Flower. Even the Bou twins didn't seem stupid enough to openly carry two large bags filled with such dangerous contraband.

Noa smirked. She reached over and undid the latch on one of the sacks, and she opened it up a crack. It was just enough that Kanna could peer inside, but not enough that the wind could slide in and blow any of the dry petals out into the open.

Kanna shook her head and shut her eyes on reflex. "Close it," she said. "For the love of God, just close it and never show it to me again." She rubbed her face with her hands. "We're going to get caught. Some soldiers are going to stop us at some crossing, and they're going to jump in the back, and they're going to look at your stuff, and they're going to arrest all four of us and execute Goda and add twenty years to my sentence."