Chapter 30: The Dance of Sleep and Wakefulness

Kanna's body disappeared. She was living instead in the body of the giant.

And the giant's hands were clawing at the ground. Those fingernails in front of Kanna's eyes were wasted almost to the nub because they had been filed down on the stone floor. Her bones felt heavy. She was dragging herself. She was scraping her naked belly against the jagged pebbles beneath her, and her screams rang through the cavern, and every sound that burst against the walls made the inside of Kanna's head—of Goda's head—feel hollow.

Goda was reaching towards the light. Inch by agonizing inch, she was forcing her way closer to the threshold, to the mouth that was bordered with swirling snakes along its shadows. The giant's muscles nearly locked. The veins on her forearms were bulging and throbbing. She heaved herself with one final effort through the gateway and into the rays of the hot sun.

Blinded, she cried out again. Her lungs were raw. Her voice echoed through the wide desert, but there was no one there to hear her.

* * *

All that Kanna could see anymore was a glare of light, because the sun was striking her right in the face. She blinked and squinted. She felt some movement against her right hand, and so she made a motion to turn her head, but her neck felt so sore that she quickly thought better of it.

With narrowed eyelids, she managed to turn her gaze as far as she could without moving anything else, and she saw that a pair of large hands were clasped against her cuff. One of those hands was holding her wrist down against the dirt, the other was turning the key—and then lifting the latch to start opening the cuff.

Kanna gasped. All her senses returned at once. Her heart pounding wildly in her chest, she lifted her left hand and smacked it against her bonds and covered the latch with her palm.

"No!" she croaked out. "What are you doing? What are you doing?"

But even in the stupor of just having awakened into mundane reality, she could see what Goda was doing: the giant was about to commit suicide.

Goda ripped Kanna's hand away from the cuff. "Imbecile!" the giant was shouting, digging her fingers under the latch again even as Kanna struggled. "Are you trying to shock yourself to death?"

"Are you?" Kanna screamed. She suddenly found the inner strength to push herself up onto her side. She was still in pain, but she consciously allowed it and accepted it and welcomed it, and because of that it didn't seem to hurt as much as it had before.

And because of that, she was also able to grasp Goda's fingers without hesitation and dig her nails deep into the skin.

Goda winced and stopped moving, though she didn't pull away. She looked Kanna right in the eyes. "If you're hellbent on resisting the shocks until you die, then I'm taking the cuff off! Stop fighting me, idiot!"

"I want the cuff! Can't you see I want it? Leave it on me!" Kanna yelled, her mind racing, her blood rushing up to her ears. She kicked her legs and waved her arms and writhed around so that Goda lost her grip. "It's a part of my body now! Leave it! Leave it! I'll bite your hand and tear into your flesh like a dog if I have to!"

It was only a second later that Kanna realized that she had grown so hysterical, that she had started shouting at Goda in Upperlander. Still, she didn't care; the words were spilling out on their own, and she didn't think they were for Goda's sake anymore.

"Hold still!"

"Fuck you!" Kanna launched herself up, and in one fluid motion she punched Goda on the side of the neck, which made the giant recoil with a growl. "Let me go, you bastard! I want to be a slave! I want it! Can't you see?"