Valentine's Day

Nia sighed as she walked up to her apartment. Well, it was her and Brainy's apartment, but for the past few days, it had felt like she lived there alone. Brainy had been holed up at the DEO for the past week, only coming home when he needed a change of clothes or other essentials. The only contact she got from him nowadays was a quick word, or a peck on the cheek if she was lucky. It's like something had consumed him last week, but when she went to ask Alex or anyone else about it, she would just get a shrug or a shake of the head. They always seemed to smile as well, like they knew something she didn't. She would wonder if he was cheating on her, but Brainy didn't seem the cheating type. Then again, they never did until it happened...

Nia shook her head. Brainy wasn't cheating on her! That was ridiculous, he was probably just busy with some project or something...

For a whole week?

Shut up, common sense!

Nia sighed again as she reached the door. And it was Valentine's Day, too...

Opening the door, she stood in shock as she took in the pink and purple streamers and heart-shaped balloons covering the entire apartment. There was a huge handmade banner, that said, "Happy Valentine's Day, My Love" in bright, happy letters. Hearts decorated the outside of the banner.

Nia jumped when she heard a clatter come from the kitchen.

"Nia Nal? Is that you?" Brainy called from the kitchen. "Wait! Don't look... oh, you've already looked." He sagged when he realised that she had already seen it all. "You weren't supposed to be home until later. I haven't even finished the cake yet!"

Nia giggled at the flour-covered "Kiss the Cook" apron he was wearing. Flour was all over his face too, as well as some specks of batter.

Nia hugged him. "You did all this for me? And here I was, thinking you'd abandoned me."

Brainy startled. "W- what? Abandoned?! I'd never abandon you!"

Nia grinned. "I know." She licked off a speck of batter on his cheek, before kissing him and smiling. "Mmm, vanilla."

Brainy blushed, despite the flour covering his face. "W- well, since you're here, would you like to help me finish the cake?"

"As long as you have another one of those aprons," giggled Nia, as they went back into the kitchen.

__________

I can just imagine Alex and Kelly looking at them and being like, "I wanna be cute like them"