Asking Questions

"Alex, I need your help."

Alex frowned as she held the phone to her ear. "Yes, Brainy?"

"I want to ask Nia to marry me."

"Oh, that's great! I'm so happy for you!" Alex exclaimed, before pausing. "...Why do you need my help, though?"

"I, uh..." There was a pause on the other line, as if Brainy had to compose himself before continuing, "I... don't know how."

"You... don't know how to propose?"

"...N- no."

"Haven't you watched any romance movies where the guy asks the girl to marry him?"

"Yes, but I'm afraid I cannot do that. For one thing, I know next to nothing about romance, so when I try to be romantic, it comes out... weird. I usually only do it by accident. I'm just lucky that Nia finds it 'adorable'."

Alex giggled at that. "What else?"

"Well, I have no idea where I am going to get a ring worthy enough for her, and even if I do find such a ring, how will I afford it."

"Well, I could promote you if you want-"

"And what if she says no?! What if she thinks we're moving too fast and she never wants to be with me again?!"

"Brainy-"

"Normally, I would not indulge myself in what-ifs, but there is a 6.23% chance that she will reject me, and I don't know if I can-"

"Stop!" Alex yelled, causing him to go silent. "Stop it, Brainy, you're going to cause yourself to overheat."

"Actually, my internal computer is specifically designed to maintain temp-"

"I don't care about that, Brainy. What I do care about is you asking Nia to marry you. Now, you are going to go to the ring shop right now, and I will meet you there, and we are going to buy the most beautiful and expensive ring we can afford. I say 'we', Brainy, because I'm going to pitch in with my money as well."

"Really, Alex, you don't have to-"

"Next, you are going to take Nia out for dinner at a nice restaurant, and afterwards, you will ask her to marry you. Understood?"

"Alex, I-"

"That is an order, Agent Dox!"

"...Yes, ma'am."

***

"This is nice," Nia commented, as she and her boyfriend sat down at their table. "We haven't been on a date in a while, have we?"

"Unless you count our movie nights and cuddle sessions 'dates', no, we have not," Brainy joked.

"So, what's the occasion?" Nia asked. "Why go out instead of staying in like we usually do?"

"Well, it is like you said, we have not had a date in a while, and I thought it would be nice to go out for a change, you know?" Brainy chuckled nervously, while Nia narrowed his eyes at him.

She stared at him for a few seconds longer, just enough to make him uncomfortable, before she suddenly said, "Okay, sounds good to me."

As they ordered dinner, Nia smiled to herself. Obviously, she knew Brainy was hiding something, and he didn't hide it very well. Subtlety had never been his strong suit; he'd always been a terrible liar. But for now, Nia decided to let it slide. So, her boyfriend had some secret. Might as well play along.

When they finished dinner, Nia ordered dessert, while Brainy sat, fidgeting. It was now or never, he told himself.

"N- Nia Nal?" Sprock, I stuttered, he silently cursed himself.

"Yes, Brainy?" She seemed unfazed by the fact the sweat was pouring down the sides of his face.

"I..." Brainy trailed off, his voice stuck in his throat. He couldn't do this! What if she said no? What if-

"Is everything okay, hun?" Nia asked, concerned.

Brainy took a deep breath, and looked up at her. "Y- yes, I'm fine, Nia." He shook his head and remembered Alex's words. You will ask her to marry you. That's an order, Agent Dox!

Steeling himself, he reached into his suit pocket and pulled out the ring box. Running his fingers over the soft velvet, he said. "I have to ask you something, Nia Nal."

"Yes?" she said again. Brainy put the box onto the table, and slid it over to her. Nia's eyes widened as she gingerly picked it up, and opened it oh so slowly. Her mouth fell open at the sight of the beautiful diamond ring.

There's no going back now, he said to himself. "Nia Nal, will you-"

"Yes."

"Wait, what?"

"Yes, Brainy, I'll marry you!" Nia cried with tears in her eyes. Brainy, for once, was speechless. She said yes. She actually said yes!

"Really?" he asked her, and she rolled her eyes before getting up and coming around to his side of the table, eyes glistening.

"Of course, I already said yes, didn't I?" Nia giggled. Brainy started to say something, but she silenced him with a kiss. "And you are a terrible liar, Brainy."

"That is accurate," he admitted, which made her grin as she dove in for another kiss.