Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I slowly stood up, keeping my blue eyes zeroed in on him. He was threatening, that was a given. But it wasn’t just that. After looking at him—I had to take a few moments to gather my thoughts. I felt mesmerized by him.

“My mate,” he repeated. His grayish blue eyes were swirling with black. Looking at him—it hit me with a force, I couldn’t explain it. He was beautiful. He was gazing at me with adoring eyes, and he extended his hand in my direction.

He was almost a foot taller than me; I had to look up at him. He was standing close. Even if we weren’t touching, I felt the electricity between us—it made me want to reach out to him.

God, he was gorgeous. He was tall, intimidating. His skin was pale, smooth, and flawless. He had an athletic build, looking sharp and strong.

My Wolf caught on to it before I did, although I had been ignoring her. His Wolf wasn’t just a regular shifter. He was exuding power, the kind I had only experienced around my father, Alpha Jackson, and occasionally with Jake.

He was looking at me to, checking me out and it was making me feel self-conscious. I could feel my face warming. That made him smile. I smiled in return, and looked down, feeling shy.

“Umm… Leila,” Jake called, snapping me out of the moment I had been having with the boy standing in front of me.

I turned to face Jake, and when I looked around, I finally remembered that we had a crowd. I had completely forgotten they were all there.

“Leila?” the boy, my mate, asked.

I turned back to him and nodded.

“I like it,” he said.

That made me smile wider. I was all smiles, and he was looking at me with a look—I couldn’t describe it. It made me feel warm all over.

“Dylan,” another guy walked towards us. I remembered him. He had been there the night we arrived. “She can’t be your mate.”

Dylan. That was his name. Dylan was the Alpha of Midnight Moon. Now I knew why his Wolf felt so powerful.

Dylan growled at the guy who approached us. I was completely caught off guard when he took me in his arms and pressed me against his chest.

“She’s mine, my mate,” Dylan growled at him. He looked defensive.

I could hardly concentrate on anything but him, and the fact that I was in his arms. One of his arms was tightly wrapped around my waist, pressing me flush against his body. The other was lightly placed over my shoulder. He was encasing me in his arms.

“Dylan, she already has a mate,” the same guy said. “Jake and the girl are mates.”

Dylan growled so loud, I felt the vibrations from his body. Everyone there had been staring at us before. Now they all just looked between tense and shocked.

“She’s my mine!” Dylan snarled at him, taking a few steps away from them all and bringing me along with him.

“Dylan, you have to let her go,” he continued.

“Jake isn’t my mate,” I said, only looking up at Dylan.

Dylan looked down at me and just smiled, lovingly. He smiled how I pictured someone who cared for you would smile.

“I know. You’re mine,” Dylan said to me, running the outside of his hand over my cheek. I liked it. His touch was electrifying. 

“You have an audience,” Jake said, clearing his throat.