Chapter 4

Chapter 4

“Dylan!” I whisper yelled.

The halls were empty, but there were classrooms on either side of the hallway we were on.

Dylan’s Wolf growled loudly. The doors to some of the classrooms were just opening when Dylan stormed out of the building using inhuman speed, breaking the doors in the process.

Humans—both teachers and students—only got to see the flash of something dark, before the double doors were ripped apart from their hinges. Most were looking at me with terror in their eyes, while others stared in amazement.

“What happened here…?” Vice Principal Harris slowly asked, looking at me like if I was responsible for most of the wall that had previously held the doors, being gone. I just couldn’t help but wonder how that lady was all over the place.

“Uh… it was… an animal…?” I repeated, slowly and sounding unsure. I cringed after the words left my lips. It was a stupid lie, and I didn’t think anyone would believe me.

“Was that a huge bear?” some guy from one of the classrooms asked, fully walking out of the room.

I wasn’t even sure how it started happening, but the hallway was getting filled up with students, all murmuring how I had “survived” the apparent attack of a creature that was most likely a bear.

“I think it was,” I said, hoping that would appease them.

It only raised more questions. How did a bear move so fast? What was it doing in school? Jokes about bears wants to learn, they were “human too”, started circulating the area within minutes. Most of them wondered how the bear had been so strong, why it was so huge, and how it had gotten so far out of the woods. Others were wondering if there were even bears in the area.

I had no answer. More than anything, they were all wondering why the bear hadn’t eaten me alive, and how I had scared it away.

Jace, Dylan’s Beta, appeared with a group of guys. A crowd had already formed around me. Vice Principal Harris had been trying to reach me, more than likely to send me to the office. Jace grabbed my hand and began dragging me away before anyone had a chance to ask me more questions.

“What happened?” Jace asked. He looked more surprised than worried. He, along with his little posse, had walked me outside, to the back area of the school.

It was the first time Jace and I spoke directly to each other, although we both knew who the other was.

Jace was, like most of the other shifters, a good looking guy. Unlike Dylan, Jace looked a lot more relaxed. The few times I’d seen him, he had been looking cheery. He was cute—with a build similar to Dylan’s, sandy blonde hair, and hazel eyes. I could imagine his as a Beta, which was his title. He was commanding and his Wolf felt powerful.

“Dylan and I were talking. He got mad and shifted,” I replied, completely simplifying and understating what had really happened.

“Why?” he asked, curiously. He didn’t have to know, and I was sure he was aware of that.

“Disagreement,” I shrugged, casually.

I noticed Jake was jogging towards us, his eyes focused on me. He looked worried. He must’ve heard about the “attack”.

“Everyone is saying that a bear attacked you?” Jake asked.

“Umm…” I muttered, looking at Jace for help.