f o u r

I frantically open the folder that was once on the table. There are more pictures, two pieces of paper with writing, and more pictures. Most of the pictures where of Gale...Gale and Mara Snow. Gale in uniform training, him in meetings, him talking to Mara, him and Peeta training, talking, sitting together in meetings. They all had dates as well. On the back of every picture, there was a date of when it was taken. All sum up to about a year ago. It's just a mutt. Gale is gone. I remind my self. Mara and Peeta had made a mutt Gale and was probably going to use him against me, knowing it will break me. Besides, there was no way Gale was alive. I was there. I was at his side when he died. I watched him die, I watched him bleed helplessly. If he survived I would have known, I would have been told. Then there were the letters. I picked one up and tears fell down my face as I saw it was Gale's handwriting.

May 1st 6067 Day 365,

They made a mutt. The capital has made a mutt version of Katniss, along with mutt versions of my family. It's hard to tell if it's just anther lie or if it's real. No one is here to answer my question. will know when we attack District twelve in a week, which I am not looking forward to. Mara and Peeta are. They are looking forward to killing the mutts. They are looking forward to gaining power. When will they learn? When will these damn people want peace? If we start another rebellion just for Mara and Peeta to get power, I will not be another piece in her games. Katniss and I were pieces of Snow's games, I don't want to be apart of Mara's. I don't want them to make me something I'm not again.

I set that piece of paper down and picked up another one. This note is two days after the one I had just read.

May 3rd 6067 Day 367,

They think they have time. The capitol thinks they have time to stop Mara and her soldiers. They don't. Little do they know she is shipping my soldiers and me out to twelve at 14:00. She lowered the time. It has been two days not a week, so the capital and twelve only have hours. The capitol tells everyone they have time when really they don't.

"You are to kill the mutts they made," Peeta told me this morning. "Kill them and help the peacekeepers tear down twelve."

He thinks it is so easy to just kill people who act like your family and then help once again burn your home to the ground. I know they want power but if we want power we need to attack the capitol, not district twelve. I am only a soldier again, I have no power, none compared the power they have over the rest of the soldiers and thirteen. I wish I was killed in the first war so I wouldn't have to go kill these mutts, so I wouldn't have to be yet another piece in someone's games.

What doesn't kill you, makes you wish you were dead. (I took this from @MegDestler, I read it and feel in love with it so....ya! Thanks, Meg!Lmao)

A small sob runs through my body as I read the last line. It was a mutt. It must have been a mutt writing this. Maybe Mara wrote it, just to break me. I look at the dates. May 1st and 3rd. It was on the 4th of May. This was written yesterday. Did Paylor and Plutarch know? Did Gale send a message? Is Gale even alive? Was Mara playing with me? It was Gale's handwriting so did Mara make him write it? So many questions swarmed through my head.

I look up from the folder as I hear the door open. My hands fumble as I put the pictures and notes back in the folder. My hands shake violently. Two pairs of footsteps in the hallway. I close the folder and get to my feet, throwing the folder on the table. I had fallen to my knees after grabbing the folder from the table. I grip the side of the table to hold me to my feet, as body seams weak, Prim and Rory walk into the kitchen. They study me for a second giving me question looks. I knew the color in my face was still gone, It had left after I saw the first picture of Gale, after I saw the face I hadn't seen in two years.