f o u r t e e n

"I love you too Pose-Nose," I whisper, kissing her cheek.

My baby sister unwraps her arms from me and stands up next to my mother. I wished I could have her in my arms for longer. I look to Katniss and sigh lightly.

"I love you Catnip," I whisper the words against her skin before I kiss her forehead.

------------------------------ Katniss's POV ----------------------------

"I love you Catnip."

   I feel his warm breath against my forehead as the simple words are whispered in a broken voice. I sigh lightly as I feel him plant a kiss against my forehead, holding his lips against my forehead for a long second.   

 I jolt awake to the sound of gunshots. Not one, but two, then three. Then a fourth. Hazelle is crouched in front of me, her hands on my shoulders. I look around confused. I wasn't in a cell, but a hallway. 

"Get up, dear hurry," Hazelle demands. 

With her help, I get to my feet. Vicky holds Posy in his arms and Hazelle grips my wrist.

"I should have done this years ago." Peeta Mellark's voice echoes through the hall.

"Fuck you." 

Gale. I tried to tug my arm from Hazelle's grip but she shakes her head, pulling me away. Vick starts to walk the other way, away from the voices and the gun shots.

"N-No!" I shout.

  Hazelle pulls me down the hallway and I forcefully rip my wrist from her hand, turning quickly on my heels. I run down the remainder of the hall, turning the corner. Peeta Mellark stands feet away from Gale who tries his best to stay standing. Bloodstained the floor. 

"Peeta."

   His blue eyes meet mine. He didn't look surprised to see me. He had been waiting for me to come to Gale's rescue and here I was, finally. I stood feet away from him and my broken lover ready to do whatever was needed. Gale coughs, blooding coming from his mouth before he drops to his knees. More dark red blood stains his shirt. A new wound came from his chest.

"What a surprise Katniss." Peeta smirks, holstering his gun. 

I look at Gale who struggles to breathe, "What do you want from me?"

"I want nothing from you. Mara, however." Peeta trails off.

  Gale coughs again this time he lets out a cry of pain as Peeta kicks him. I wince as Peeta's foot comes in contact with Gale's chest. My best friend gasps for air before falling against the wall.

"What does she want from me?" I ask.

   Blue eyes meet grey. My hands shake with fear, my breathing quickens. I clench my jaw as I listen to Gale wheeze and cough. He was dying slowly and I could do nothing about it. I wasn't able to get him help because I was standing feet away from a boy I used to trust and not in a hospital begging a doctor to help him.

"Your life." He answers as if it was obvious.

"Does she want Gale's life?" Gale looks up at me and I have to force myself to lock my eyes once again on Peeta. Seeing him in pain hurt me.

"No, but I want the satisfaction of watching him die." Peeta smiles.

"Katniss go." Gale chokes out.

Peeta unholsters his gun, aiming it for Gale. I run forward so I can throw my self in front of the gun but I'm too late.

"No!" I scream.