Prologue: Past and Present

A/N: The main character's (your) quest is the central part of the story, not the romance. Don't expect a shallow storyline where Hiccup leaves Astrid for you the second you reveal your feelings, or that Astrid is heartless and bitchy. Personally, I think this ruins the depth the movies displayed. However, don't doubt that you will end up with Hiccup, even if it takes quite a few chapters.
______________________________________

Prologue
Past and Present

-
Soundtrack: 05. Wounded
-

I am a Former. My earliest memory is of not so long ago - a hazy blur of night and pain, exactly ten years ago.

Winged monsters cloaked in the black of night and the heat of flame attacked my village, and killed almost all of the inhabitants.

I watched my parents burn to death in a writhing pillar of smoke, the smell of flesh filling my nose. My brother was lost in the fighting, and my other relatives went unaccounted for.

Ten years ago, a day after the massacre at my village of Ulek, I became a Former, a creature spoken of in tales of myth and legend, rarer even than the fabled black dragon, the Night Fury. A creature whose soul stays the same, but whose body has changed.

The Sun and its brothers, the Stars, lent me their warmth and I grew scales and wings, black as night. Fire stirred in the pit of my belly, hot as the sun itself. I was one of them. The creatures that destroyed my home and my life. I was a dragon, and a Night Fury no less.

I cried to the heavens; "Why do you curse me?" but all that came was a roar, steely and rough. They replied with a riddle, telling me of a way to free myself from the body of the dragon.

"Find the one who saved his home
But also saved the danger
Find the one who'll change your bones
And change him from a stranger
When yet again you've balanced out
The fates of this great Earth
He'll guide your body back into
It's rightful place of birth."

I plied them with questions, but the Sun and the Stars were silent after that. They haven't talked to me since. Eventually, I learnt to live with it. Now, I only hold the faintest glimmer of humanity in my head.

I live on a large, forested island, with a great mountain range along the eastern side and low-lying plains to the west, with forest between them. I could fly from North to South in less than an hour, and likewise for East to West, seeing as the island is a rough circle shape.

I survive by eating the plentiful wildlife there, although each day the Sun glares down, reminding me of my true body.

The riddle is burned into my brain, only, I don't know how to find the boy who is mentioned in it. He could be anywhere, and he could be anyone. For eight years, I searched tirelessly, but two years back I gave up, having flown leagues upon leagues and listened to the world, hearing of heroic deeds and the heroes that achieved them, though each had saved their people only by vanquishing their foes.

I settled here soon after. There is no land nearby, save a rocky outcrop to the East. I was happy, being a dragon. Until I turned 20, and the Sun decided to set me back on course.

______________________________________

A/N: Sooooo. Yay Hiccup. I was looking for Jack frost fanfiction, and it turns out there's a heck of a lot of fan fiction with Hiccup, Jack Frost, Merida etc., so I started looking at Hiccup fan fiction . . . and decided I wanted to make some.